D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Fair point!

The LGG increased all the population numbers, by a lot, and that is probably one of the more reasonable changes I would expect to make it in.

The numbers in the LGG seem to be reasonable for actual, sustainable countries, while still low enough to allow for substantial low-population frontier areas for adventures to occur in...

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Last week, horror writer Laird Barron (one of the best in English at the moment) posted on his Patreon some photos of his office in the house he and his wife moved into a few weeks ago. The wall behind his desk is dominated by a large poster for John Carpenter’s The Thing and smaller film posters and knick-knacks. In the center of the floor is a d20 throw rug. The opposite wall has waist-high bookshelves and, above them, the big continental map of Greyhawk. He said, in response to a question from the peanut gallery that it remains one of his favorite settings.

Hussar

Legend
Yup. Mainly bring it up to show how Greenwood is a different generation from Gygax, and has other influences in his kitchensink.
Different generation? I mean, they're both Boomers. There's about 20 years between them, sure, but, it's not like C. S. Lewis is some new modern author. Kinda contemporary. More just the fact that Greenwood wrote a HELL of a lot more than Gygax did. So, of course he drew on more sources.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Different generation? I mean, they're both Boomers. There's about 20 years between them, sure, but, it's not like C. S. Lewis is some new modern author. Kinda contemporary. More just the fact that Greenwood wrote a HELL of a lot more than Gygax did. So, of course he drew on more sources.
Gygax wasn't a Boomer, he was a Silent Generation guy, the Boomers were the Young Turks at early TSR. He was born in 1938, as opposed to 1959 for Greenwood.

Whi h means that Gygax was just outside the target age group for Narnua when they were first published, whereas they were classics already when Greenwood was a kid. These things can make a difference.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
New map from the DMG just dropped:

d18b9a566830e9c1215c662599e141cc.png

Remove ads