• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That sort of runs contrary to the initial statement that @MGibster wanted the players to initially tie their characters to the setting. For that to happen, everyone around the table has to know more about the setting. Discovery through imaginative play is better IMO -- it means you can start with kind of a blank slate and when you encounter something in the world that piques your interest, you can suggest it be part of your backstory. but that wasn't what was suggested here.
For Greyhawk, "tie it to the Setting" largely means "pick some vague paragraph about a place and/or factions and aggressively make everything up."

People played the Setting for years with just a 32 page Gazateer that covered 40+ nations and multiple factions.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
For Greyhawk, "tie it to the Setting" largely means "pick some vague paragraph about a place and/or factions and aggressively make everything up."

People played the Setting for years with just a 32 page Gazateer that covered 40+ nations and multiple factions.
Greyhawk truly is the most quantum of settings, at once completely nothing and the best setting ever! But sure, anyone can pick three random words from the folio and call it their backstory.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Greyhawk truly is the most quantum of settings, at once completely nothing and the best setting ever! But sure, anyone can pick three random words from the folio and call it their backstory.
No, the best setting ever is Glorantha, but that's neither here nor there.

But, yes, when societies like the Shield lands get like two paragraphs, someone who wants to play a knight errant Paladin devoted to St. Cuthbert has a lot of leeway to make that part of the Setting their own (my own first character ever was a Half-Orc Paladin of St. Cuthbert).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
No, the best setting ever is Glorantha, but that's neither here nor there.
Is that the one with the ducks?
But, yes, when societies like the Shield lands get like two paragraphs, someone who wants to play a knight errant Paladin devoted to St. Cuthbert has a lot of leeway to make that part of the Setting their own (my own first character ever was a Half-Orc Paladin of St. Cuthbert).
I'm not dissing on vague world building. I prefer it, actually. I'm mostly commenting on how differently people view GH. You don't see that as much with FR or other settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is that the one with the ducks?
Darn straight it is.
I'm not dissing on vague world building. I prefer it, actually. I'm mostly commenting on how differently people view GH. You don't see that as much with FR or other settings.
It's the Rorschach test of RPG Settings: everyone who likes it has made their own version. The Forgotten Realms is also meant for DMs to make their own, but there are a ton of details pre-made to be used or changed. FR1 introduced and covered the city of Waterdeep in 64 pages, which is still a rough sketch for such a major city. The equivalent city in Greyhawk, the Free City if Greyhawk (both are basically Lnkhmar) in tje expanded 1983 Greyhawk Setting got this:

Screenshot_20240517_084901_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240517_084956_Samsung Notes.jpg

Greyhawk got a full city product eventually...but that's also about where the Greyhawk fanbase fractured.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Darn straight it is.

It's the Rorschach test of RPG Settings: everyone who likes it has made their own version. The Forgotten Realms is also meant for DMs to make their own, but there are a ton of details pre-made to be used or changed. FR1 introduced and covered the city of Waterdeep in 64 pages, which is still a rough sketch for such a major city. The equivalent city in Greyhawk, the Free City if Greyhawk (both are basically Lnkhmar) in tje expanded 1983 Greyhawk Setting got this:

View attachment 363551View attachment 363550

Greyhawk got a full city product eventually...but that's also about where the Greyhawk fanbase fractured.
I do love the "dungeon as gold rush" feel.

MGibster

Legend
That sort of runs contrary to the initial statement that @MGibster wanted the players to initially tie their characters to the setting. For that to happen, everyone around the table has to know more about the setting.
No, they really don't need to know it. With my example, I just made up the Mystic Order of the Golden Fists. I expect the players to simply use their imaginations and we'll either make something up or adapt their idea to something already existing in the setting.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
No, they really don't need to know it. With my example, I just made up the Mystic Order of the Golden Fists. I expect the players to simply use their imaginations and we'll either make something up or adapt their idea to something already existing in the setting.
I misunderstood you initial post, obviously. My bad. I am totally on board with what you are talking about then.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads