D&D 5E Greyhawk is the official setting for Ghosts of Saltmarsh

togashi_joe

First Post
I haven't followed anything about GH or FR since 2E days, so a question... has GH ever been officially updated since the days of Living Greyhawk? I know it gets mentioned a lot in the later editions, but has anyone actually updated it?

Yes, actually, you can find more info here. Some northeast conventions run a lot of Greyhawk Reborn (Living Greyhawk 5e) and they'll be at Origins as well: http://greyhawkreborn.net/documents/

It's a lot less limiting than Adventurer's League as well in my opinion and a better-run, cohesive campaign.

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
Some preview "flip thru" videos are up on YT now. The area map for Saltmarsh is simply a color updating (redrawn) of the original one from U2 Danger at Dunwater, and includes the Greyhawk features of the Azure Sea, the Dreadwood and the Hool Marshes. It even includes the original hexes, which in U2 were coded to specific WoG hexes! As shown in the first post in this thread, the text also mentions the Kingdom of Keoland, a Greyhawk domain going back to the pre-Greyhawk Great Kingdom map.

In a further twist, the've also placed the Tower of Zenopus from the Sample Dungeon in the original (Holmes) Basic Set across the river mouth from Saltmarsh, and there are four paragraphs setting it up as an adventure locale to be designed by the DM. It's the first time the Tower of Zenopus has been given an official Greyhawk location! My thoughts on this are here:

The Tower of Zenopus in Ghosts of Saltmarsh

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I want nothing more than to just shut up and applaud. It is nice to see this sidebar any time it turns up. It is nice to see Greyhawk as the "default" rather than one of the "options."

But my question is this: what does the rest of the book say on the topic? Does it actually matter? Does the lore of the sourcebook reflect this choice, or is it all just sandpapered down to generic fantasy?

Greyhawk isn't just a fancy logo. This sidebar is nice, but no matter which setting is listed at the top, it's just fanservice. Where's the beef?

I want nothing more than to just shut up and applaud. It is nice to see this sidebar any time it turns up. It is nice to see Greyhawk as the "default" rather than one of the "options."

But my question is this: what does the rest of the book say on the topic? Does it actually matter? Does the lore of the sourcebook reflect this choice, or is it all just sandpapered down to generic fantasy?

Greyhawk isn't just a fancy logo. This sidebar is nice, but no matter which setting is listed at the top, it's just fanservice. Where's the beef?

We know from previews that all deities mentioned are Greyhawk ones. There's a location that was a temple of Procan that is now overrun by worshipers of Erythnul, for example.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
We know from previews that all deities mentioned are Greyhawk ones. There's a location that was a temple of Procan that is now overrun by worshipers of Erythnul, for example.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I'll, uh, just be over here in the corner crying quiet tears of joy.

DLing now 😁

Edit: I think DDB uses dial up...

Edit 2: then it crashes my iPad, which is a first, and now has started downloading again!

Last edited:

Remove ads