D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Mort

Legend
Supporter
...although, if you said that Castle Greyhawk (WG7) was your favorite, then I would be forced to hunt you down.

Hey, who doesn't want their PC to meet Asmodeus in a low level adventure?

This trainwreck of a mega module was my introduction to the world of Greyhawk, and can actually be pretty fun of approached correctly (and heavily modified and cleaned up).

I didn't learn of the modulus somewhat ugly intent and history (essentially as a middle finger to Gygax) until much later.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Oof. Dog star hat for a minute.

WG7 was the last straw for me. I still remember my disappointment with each new hardcover after OA in 1e; it wasn't that they were bad, necessarily, but increasingly inconsequential.

And then, WG7. I still can remember my excitement when I bought it. When I took it home. When I opened it and started reading. And I may not always be the brightest bulb on the planet, but I immediately saw two things-

1. The ugliness. I didn't get all the inside jokes, but I got enough of the gist. Not. Cool.

2. The bad pop culture references. I love me some jokes and pop culture references with the best of them (Hill Sector Blues, anyone?), but these just weren't that funny.

If you wanted a Greyhawk adventure, particularly the promised legendary Greyhawk Castle exploration, I can see how this would be like a punch in the mouth.

They got their act somewhat back together with Greyhawk Ruins which was, at least, a serious attempt.

I wonder about WotC working in something like the battleworld from the last Secret War event by marvel comics or the Convergence event by DC. A megacrossover whose end would be the reboot of the D&D multiverse, maybe adding ideas from other Hasbro's franchises. The hook would be the chronomancers and the time dragons, and maybe Vecna, god of secrets, and something linked to the demiplane of dread (Ravenloft).

Other options it a hidden metaplot. This has just happened, but fans dodn't know yet but some clues in internet appear. We would find a "mosaic" world created with piece of other settins, for example the island of Jankandor and a kingdom ruled by a sorcerer-king from Dark Sun would be neighbours, or a fantasy version of Gamma World being visited by the aliens from d20 Future, and arcanepunk spelljammers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder about WotC working in something like the battleworld from the last Secret War event by marvel comics or the Convergence event by DC. A megacrossover whose end would be the reboot of the D&D multiverse, maybe adding ideas from other Hasbro's franchises. The hook would be the chronomancers and the time dragons, and maybe Vecna, god of secrets, and something linked to the demiplane of dread (Ravenloft).

Other options it a hidden metaplot. This has just happened, but fans dodn't know yet but some clues in internet appear. We would find a "mosaic" world created with piece of other settins, for example the island of Jankandor and a kingdom ruled by a sorcerer-king from Dark Sun would be neighbours, or a fantasy version of Gamma World being visited by the aliens from d20 Future, and arcanepunk spelljammers.

If they are, it is Tharizdun, and probably Mordenkainen rallying folks against Tharizdun in Greyhawk.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, please no. Please please please.

Remember when you could, you know, save a village? Or maybe not? Maybe just loot the ruins of an ancient civilization or two?

Then someone was like, "Hey, buddy, let's Elminster it and save the Realms!"

But apparently now even that's not enough? What, we have to save the multiverse?

Sheesh. Thanos was right.

I dunno if they will, but if they are, that's where it is for Mearls.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Too many pronouns. ;) Specificity is the soul of narrative.

Mike Mearls is the evil genius "Franchise Creative Director" for Wizards of the Coast, i.e. in charge of story direction with license partners and across the game line. He is vocally obsessed with Greyhawk, Mordenkainen and Tharizdun. The last two came up in a recent D&DB video, even. I think they might go...somewhere...with that. Or want to.

Or "our" Tharizdun is killed and eaten by "its" (saner) twin from a different timeline, this one didn't want to destroy everything, only to recreate everything, and it is more popular among mortals, trying to fix all by the wrong way. And after leaving its original timeline there throne is empty and the supreme powers and the lictors fight for this because their Demiurge has dissapared, bored because its "utopy" isn't enough challenge.

Remove ads