D&D General Greyhawk setting material

hmmmm...i agree with @Urriak Uruk
Medeival villages held demons in fear and curiosity as well as half demons but few were ever sure they'd seen one (so they viewed them as vanishingly rare and still had a very common view on them due to a couple crazies that were sure). Seems pretty blatantly obvious from real world examples to me. And greyhawk actually does people reacting realistically within the society they live in to foreign out of place things pretty well from my experience. Just saying...

I think its pretty common sense that fiend/demon blooded people were a signifficant but rare (proportional to population) element in greyhawk.

Side note: 😈I refute that vecna was just a man though.

His mother was a healer but probably a warlock specifically. Likely in a pact with someone. Verdant young femake makes a pact with an unspeakably old entity. Whats the most common agreement? How many kids did she have that we know of? What was vecna a genius prodigy at? HMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

i seriously doubt the father was a fiend or demon though. Im thinking more like...a long sleeping god. Perhaps one with an ancestral tie. Which makes this potentially incest. Which would actually fit. Vecna growing up to do legendarily vile things and being spawned by a vile act. Its a hidden plot point that fits the mythic archetypes hes given.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
actually, the argument isn't 'how do people react to tieflings/dragonborn', but 'do they even exist in GH.' It seems to be a rather bitter topic....

To be fair, I was viewing it as a spectrum (one end being "Exists and are viewed as common," the other being "Does not exist") and I believe the section moves the needle toward "Does not exist" (but doesn't confirm anything either way).

actually, the argument isn't 'how do people react to tieflings/dragonborn', but 'do they even exist in GH.' It seems to be a rather bitter topic....
I was actually more using that as evidence of how common they were. Rare rather. As in, the way they act makes a good case for how rare the object in question was.

Via this method (and also just paying attention to the story in grey hawk) i think the obvious answer is half fiends/half demons are exceedingly rare. Tieflings are less rare possibly by up to an order of magnitude by the end of the story but still exceedingly rare.

Remove ads