D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I would put both as 'exist, but not common'. Gnomes in 5E are apparently not common either, but GH always had them as being abundant, so I'd change that....

I think the language is vague enough that you can decide either way (I actually think it is purposefully written that way), and I found it noteworthy that both were put in a separate category of looked at as more foreign than the other races.

Of course, GoS does make tieflings canon, there's an NPC of one (I think it fits well). Nothing in the book makes dragonborn so, but you could easily make them "exist but very rare."

Also acererak. Even vecnas advisors wanted vecna to kill him (whike he was still a child) because the dude was a cambion (half and half). Vecna killed all the advisors. Vecna is for equal opportunity clearly (jk) but the mood in the room of his advisors doesnt exactly encourage a view that outsider blood was common. So probably not native. I cant find any examples of people feeling like they were just a normal thing. I looked in the dankest room on oerth (vecnas backroom board room where the smoke is probably always green. From magic you degenerates. Sheesh.) And even there they treeted him with curiosity and fear. And wabting him dead.

Zardnaar

Legend
If they do add Dragonborn I hope they do it correctly vs FR lets blow something up.

Tieflings have a more obvious in universe origin.

Dragonborn should be from far away lands or other world's.

I don't think they will replace Greyhawk city with Dragonfalcon.

I don't regard modern sensibilities as things like cheesecake art but more toning down things like the races magically all getting along and things like the slave Lord's and Scarlet Brotherhood who are basically Nazis. Greyhawk needs to be a bit darker than FR/Nerath/Eberron.

Remathilis

Legend
If they do add Dragonborn I hope they do it correctly vs FR lets blow something up.

Tieflings have a more obvious in universe origin.

Dragonborn should be from far away lands [-]or other world's[/-].

I don't think they will replace Greyhawk city with Dragonfalcon.

I don't regard modern sensibilities as things like cheesecake art but more toning down things like the races magically all getting along and things like the slave Lord's and Scarlet Brotherhood who are basically Nazis. Greyhawk needs to be a bit darker than FR/Nerath/Eberron.

With one small edit, I agree with you.

Coroc

Hero
Part of what made DS, RL, PS, and other 2e settings more distinctive in comparison to GH and FR was that they had unique baseline worlds as play environments. If you add all of the same classes and races and gods and spells and magic items to every setting, they all become the same, in which case then there's no point in having any of them at all (a la The Incredibles). So maintaining each setting's uniqueness seems important to me as a way to show why and how we play D&D differently in Krynn vs. in Spelljammer vs. in Blackmoor, et al.

This ^^^^^^ is what is also part of the reason why the discussion is so heated up.

But the problem is, that us old guys are talking about something we loved, that newer generation never experienced that way, or never felt as being important or whatever.

Zardnaar

Legend
Remember in the old 1E material Drow are very rare.

Tieflings rarer than that IMHO unless they retcon Iuz lands as a Tiefling Empire. Which would be bad.

@Coroc uncommon though they may be, lovers of the older content do happen in the younger generations. I love the old stuff for instance and I'm early gen z - late millenial roughly. I recently got a friend of mine (14 years old) to start dm'ing his first campaign. He's doing it in a very 2e lore heavy style with some 3e content sprinkled in where its able to fit thematically and is using system rules primarily from 3e. So players like me do exist. The pressure to be "current year" in all things pop cultural though and the active support being entirely 5e right now basically suppresses the aparent numbers of young people who would totally play the older stuff if the situation was just a little different. There just needs to be a way to make prior editions highly accessible (and less culty "everything must be current year" behavior would help to. I swear this.)

Coroc

Hero
@Coroc uncommon though they may be, lovers of the older content do happen in the younger generations. I love the old stuff for instance and I'm early gen z - late millenial roughly. I recently got a friend of mine (14 years old) to start dm'ing his first campaign. He's doing it in a very 2e lore heavy style with some 3e content sprinkled in where its able to fit thematically and is using system rules primarily from 3e. So players like me do exist. The pressure to be "current year" in all things pop cultural though and the active support being entirely 5e right now basically suppresses the aparent numbers of young people who would totally play the older stuff if the situation was just a little different. There just needs to be a way to make prior editions highly accessible (and less culty "everything must be current year" behavior would help to. I swear this.)
Well, my table is guys and girls approx. 15 years younger than me. Although they started out with some 1e stuff they pretty fast switched to 3.x e and did also a bit of 4e. Myself I started up with 1e/2e simultaneously probably more 2e, and I never did tabletop with 3e or 4e. I love 5e most of all editions for it is the smoothest version to play pen and paper.
But I use the 1e and 2e greyhawk stuff. and before that I did a 2e ravenloft campaign, both converted to 5e.
So for my players this is mostly new stuff content wise, they do not know much of the 2e stuff.
Sometimes, especially in the beginning there was some "worlds collide" situations :p
But they are very settled and mature people so we could easily resolve this and had much fun at the table since then.

Remove ads