D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Coroc

Hero
The point is well made though. If they are going to make changes to the setting, walking softly is definitely the easier way to go. It's much, MUCH easier to slip in small changes than big ones. Just look at the 5e Monster Manual and then compare it to the 3e Monster Manual to see how much you can change the game without ruffing feathers.

And, frankly, there are a million ways to slip in something as minor as a new PC race into the game. They did it quite well with Tieflings in GoS for example. That tiefling isn't a smuggler. She's there as the imperial representative of Iuz, waving the flag and all, legally buying food supplies to ship home. This is all above board and legal and everyone knows it.

You could easily add in another PC race in a similar fashion. The notion that Race X (whether it's Dragonborn or Lupins or whatever) have always been in the setting, but, marginalized and living in small, isolated communities on the fringes. They haven't been mentioned before because, well, they're just not that important in the larger picture. That's probably the simplest solution.

Oh, and just because everyone else is doing the mic drops, I'd point out that Dragonborn do appear in the artwork for Saltmarsh, so, they are canon in Greyhawk. And, yes, GoS is canonically Greyhawk despite the fact that there are sidebars for placing it in other settings. It is NOT a generic product. It is SPECIFICALLY placed in Greyhawk.

image-asset.jpeg
What is that monstrosity in the middle of the picture? Is it a Gnome? Beware - a dual rapier wielding gnome paladin!

:)

Zardnaar

Legend
Good grief, is this GH taffy pull still going? I hear repeated groans coming from WotC Marketing... ;)
Lead us to the promised land lord Robilar for we are but children;)

I don't think WotC will blow the setting up if they ever redo it.

Bad memories of 4E FR and Darksun still linger.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Honestly, given the history of the Great Kingdom over the last century or so, I'd think a noticeable population would have appeared there decades ago. The Overkings didn't sit on something nicknamed "The Fiend-Seeking Throne" for nothing, after all...
Indeed. The Tiefling character I played was a scion of House Naelax.

Lead us to the promised land lord Robilar for we are but children;)

I don't think WotC will blow the setting up if they ever redo it.

Bad memories of 4E FR and Darksun still linger.

Yeh, like in 1997 when I passed them the WoG Marketing plan, no such thing then as I (and Gary who approved of it) got silence in return. So, Whose promised land? Mine? Yours? The fans who will never agree due to infinite individual slants? Or WotC's bottom line "Promised Land"? Such is the nature of things. I am not fooling myself on this, way past that weaning stage as I have been involved in these trench battles for years. ;)

Maybe WotC would be approachable on me now finishing Maure Castle... So much on my plate now but I'd try to factor it in if they could be communicated with on this somehow. They are otherwise pretty aloof.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeh, like in 1997 when I passed them the WoG Marketing plan, no such thing then as I (and Gary who approved of it) got silence in return. So, Whose promised land? Mine? Yours? The fans who will never agree due to infinite individual slants? Or WotC's bottom line "Promised Land"? Such is the nature of things. I am not fooling myself on this, way past that weaning stage as I have been involved in these trench battles for years. ;)

Broadly speaking for Greyhawk I think the best claim is.

1. Yourself or Gary's children.
2. Anyone who isn't going to blow it up Paizohawk.
3. Anyone who is gonna blow it up in a semi logical way (2E).
4. Anyone who is going to blow it up in a really silly way.
5. People who really don't get it.

Hopefully if WotC redo it for a modern audience it's option 2. 1 would be the ideal but oh well.

IMHO.

Broadly speaking for Greyhawk I think the best claim is.

1. Yourself or Gary's children.
2. Anyone who isn't going to blow it up Paizohawk.
3. Anyone who is gonna blow it up in a semi logical way (2E).
4. Anyone who is going to blow it up in a really silly way.
5. People who really don't get it.

Hopefully if WotC redo it for a modern audience it's option 2. 1 would be the ideal but oh well.

IMHO.

Well, They never wanted to re-Officialize it through Gary and I then, so why now? GH was given to the fans to do what they wanted with it. With that came the consequences of same--the endless individual arguments, all very singular and sound from island to island as it goes, but because of that never emitting the median TOLLING of the bell that is a Golden Call to Market Prayer for Wotc.

Remove ads