D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Never minding those of us, like me, for whom the notion of playing in the same setting for more than a year or so just doesn't hold any appeal at all.
Unfortunately i dont have the time to address everything, but i find claims that 5e does multi setting campaigns as well as the first three editions (in multiple ways)...a bit dubious...

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Unfortunately i dont have the time to address everything, but i find claims that 5e does multi setting campaigns as well as the first three editions(in multiple ways)...a bit dubious...
Sorry, but, what is a "multi setting campaign"?

If you mean multi-year campaign (which is what I was talking about) then, well, no edition does that very well for me since I would rather chew glass than spend more than about 18 months in a given campaign. I have zero interest in a campaign that is going to take longer to resolve than that.

Hussar

Legend
Well, see that's the thing. While the games may have been designed to last several years in a single campaign, very, very few people actually played it that way. So, what's the point of having a game where it takes two or three years of constant play to hit the top end of the game when 99% of people don't ever play that long?

Heck, 1e, according to the DMG, was supposed to hit name level in about a year of play. And that's when most people retired their characters.

grodog

Hero
Hi Rob---

@grodog "OD&D (which improved upon and codified the playtest versions of the game), and with AD&D (which streamlined and rationalized OD&D), but my sense is that editions after AD&D (even within AD&D, given the 1.5e books from UA, OA, and onward) simply seemed to serve the product and marketing needs of the company, without design as the key driver for their creation."

Lots to unpack here. I can't come to terms with the bolded, Too late now to expand as nighty-night approaches in minutes. Later on all.

I was simply describing my perception of how the original rules evolved as they were formalized/written for publication, and how AD&D collected the OD&D rules and supplements and brought them together under a rationalized, more-consistent umbrella.

Allan.

Pauln6

Hero
The 2e Adventure Begins is a really good bite sized introduction to the Domain of Greyhawk but the 3e LG Gazetteer has the most overall detail. My main criticism of the 3e supplement was that the nations became a bit cookie cutter with demi human enclaves sprouting all over and every nation having their own Harry Potter style wizard school. I do prefer the more Middle Earth feel of the original.

Remove ads