D&D 5E Greyhawk Sub-Classes

the Jester

Legend
Personally I'd love to see a Greyhawk setting book along the lines of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer that just gives setting info without any crunch. Greyhawk is built around the same core assumptions as the base rules so there is no real need for a bunch of Greyhawk-specific rules.

I feel the need to point out that clerics of Greyhawk deities, as far back as 1e, did indeed get specific abilities and rules. For example, a cleric of Heironius, once sufficiently high level, could unleash a bolt of positive energy.

Pauln6

Hero
Clerics of Murlynd are sort of Artificer-esque. I think Greyhawk specific clerics should get alternative channel divinity class features based in their 1e or 2e options.

Even if they don't get separate subclasses, a recipe to emulate them using existing options would be cool.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What about a subclass with addition choices for the deity specific stuff? so, a paladin subclass called the Oath of The Paragon, where you choose a deity and gain powers according to that choice, like the totem barbarian?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK let's try a different take on this. If a book were to come out with one sub-class for every Player's Handbook class, and each sub-class were to have a Greyhawk theme of some sort, what sub-classes do you think would be good ones?

Barbarian

Bard

Cleric

Druid

Fighter

Monk

Paladin

Ranger

Rogue

Sorcerer

Warlock

Wizard

Voadam

Legend
OK let's try a different take on this. If a book were to come out with one sub-class for every Player's Handbook class, and each sub-class were to have a Greyhawk theme of some sort, what sub-classes do you think would be good ones?

The things that come to mind are more 1e and 2e elements.

Off the top of my head:

Barbarian:
Rovers/Tiger/Wolf - Mongolic themed or
Fist/Snow/Ice - viking themed
I forget the rain forest themed blow dart ones.
Pomarj marauder.

Bard:
Olidamarra follower.

Cleric:
Any of the specialty cleric stuff from the 1e and 2e campaign boxed sets. Stuff for any/everybody from Boccob to Xan Yae.

Druid
Nothing comes to mind but there might have been some nature god specific specialty stuff that would be appropriate, I'd have to check for specifics.

Fighter
Some of the Knight orders would be a good base. A Kelanen follower sword saint disciple thing would be appropriate.

Monk
Scarlet Brotherhood is iconic for the setting.

Paladin
More of the knight stuff, possibly Pholtus or St. Cuthbert options. Vow of the Blinding Light. Vow of no backsliding.

Ranger
I think there was an elven woods order of knights that could fit.

Rogue
Greyhawk guild member. Freelancer. Would be easily adaptable to other worlds reflecting Greyhawk and Gord the Rogue and the Guild being a take on Lankhmar with the Gray Mouser and the Guild being a take on crime ridden fantasy New York.

Sorcerer
Nothing comes to mind but you could get creative with Backlunish and Suel magical traditions.

Warlock
Horned Brotherhood pact variant of fiends jumps to mind as most appropriate.

Wizard
Backlunish and Suel magical traditions. Valley of the Mage tradition started by his Elven apprentices.

Pauln6

Hero
I always felt that Kermin Mindbender should have been built as a sorcerer. He scours the Empire looking for pupils with talent and he can use a mind blast. Sounds perfect.

Voadam

Legend
Warlock should probably be Elemental pact for the Temple of Elemental Evil. Then players can choose to play heroic renegades same as they can play heroic Cthulhu cultists of Tharizdun, or of Grazzt, or the Horned Brotherhood. Four elemental warlock pacts would be great general crunch to have. I don't have Princes of the Apocalypse so I am not sure how this would tie in there, but the ToEE was a big Greyhawk thing from 1e through 3e.

I concur with Magister Ludorum. Most of what I see should simply be factions. Nothing so far justify a subclass. Maybe the Scarlet Brotherhood monk might have something but even then... No factions at la Ravnica should be more than enough.

Remove ads