D&D 5E Greyhawk: Why We Need Mo' Oerth by 2024

I would like a setting book that at least suggests various adventure ideas for various regions.

If we are talking about the lands of Iuz even bullet point ideas about problems or challenges would be great and empowering for people less familiar with the setting in question.
This is what the original and the From the Ashes box set did and this what I hope that IF they do GH for 5ed, that they will do likewise again. It was and still is the hallmark of GH. Ideas and lore. They don't tell you what to do, but they give ideas of what could be in YOUR campaign.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This is what the original and the From the Ashes box set did and this what I hope that IF they do GH for 5ed, that they will do likewise again. It was and still is the hallmark of GH. Ideas and lore. They don't tell you what to do, but they give ideas of what could be in YOUR campaign.

One of my favorites was the 1989 City of Greyhawk Boxed set. 2 books (1 on places and 1 on people), a couple maps AND 20+ double sided cardstock adventures (each adventure was only 2 pages but had everything needed for a decent side quest) of various level ranges. I STILL pull those out occasionally.

One of my favorites was the 1989 City of Greyhawk Boxed set. 2 books (1 on places and 1 on people), a couple maps AND 20+ double sided cardstock adventures (each adventure was only 2 pages but had everything needed for a decent side quest) of various level ranges. I STILL pull those out occasionally.
And I the same. And those books, tons of idea and hints. And do not forget to vote for the Goat!

Other point can't only to publish an updated edition of the lore, because today we can get it from fandom wiki, or drink from other sources, for example wikis about videogames, comics and novels. WotC is more focused into to sell sourcebooks about crunch (magic items, subclasses, feats, spells...).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They aren't setting books OR support, no matter what WotC considers them. Their primary purpose is the big multi-level adventure. What other information in them supports that adventure, not the campaign setting. WotC is deluding itself if it thinks people are going to buy those books only for the bit of setting info that they contain. Those books could be considered setting support if people were reasonably buying them only for the setting portion that those books contain. It isn't reasonable to do that, though. It's throwing most of the money spent on the adventure in the trash to do that.
Setting can be understood in multiple senses: it can mean an e tire world, or it can be a smaller area that is gameable. Princes of the Apocalyhas a lot of Dungeons, but it also details a region the size of the state of Oregon.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist has a lot of dungeons, they use up the while alphabet for keys (many if the Dungeons have multiple keys!), but there is also a very large gazateer detailing the city.

WotC determined that their target market for these books are people who want dungeons loosely connected, with sandbox areas (Tyranny of Dragons is the exception, being just about the only book without a sandbox region detailed).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's exactly my point. I DON'T have a big adventure book providing a few details about the setting. Why? Because I don't use big adventures and it would be throwing money in the trash to buy it. The meager setting details in them aren't worth paying full retail price to get, and it's unreasonable for WotC to expect that I would do so. Further, having a few setting details spread out over several books rather many setting details in one or two setting books is a piss poor way to organize a setting.

There can be no assumption that people are going to buy adventures to get the setting info, so the comparison is really not having a big adventure book providing details about a given setting vs. not having a big adventure book providing details about a given setting. They can only be support if it can be assumed that you will have them along side the SCAG.
But it is convenient for people who in 2E would have bought a region guide and a trio of modules set in said region. Also known as, WotC's core market.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Setting can be understood in multiple senses: it can mean an e tire world, or it can be a smaller area that is gameable. Princes of the Apocalyhas a lot of Dungeons, but it also details a region the size of the state of Oregon.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist has a lot of dungeons, they use up the while alphabet for keys (many if the Dungeons have multiple keys!), but there is also a very large gazateer detailing the city.

WotC determined that their target market for these books are people who want dungeons loosely connected, with sandbox areas (Tyranny of Dragons is the exception, being just about the only book without a sandbox region detailed).
Okay, sure. I think that when the vast majority of us are talking about settings and setting books, though, we're discussing macro settings like the Forgotten Realms, not a micro setting like Baldur's Gate or whatever the adventures are including.

The macro setting of the Forgotten Realms has gotten 1 book, SCAG and has had no other support.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay, sure. I think that when the vast majority of us are talking about settings and setting books, though, we're discussing macro settings like the Forgotten Realms, not a micro setting like Baldur's Gate or whatever the adventures are including.

The macro setting of the Forgotten Realms has gotten 1 book, SCAG and has had no other support.
Looking back to 1E or 2E, most of the Forgotten Realms support was in region books, which provided similar coverage to what Descent to Avernus or Icewind Dale provide now. FR has one general book, and 7 meaty regional supplements (Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, Storm King's Thunder, Tomb of Annihilation, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale). Those 7 books each provide a heavy dosage of Setting material, each enough to fuel years of play.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But it is convenient for people who in 2E would have bought a region guide and a trio of modules set in said region. Also known as, WotC's core market.
2e isn't a good edition to compare 5e with, though. In 2e I had...

Forgotten Realms Adventures(not an adventure)
Hall of Heroes
Cities of Mystery
The Bloodstone Lands
OId Empires
Dwarves Deep
Horde Campaign
Anauroch
The Great Glacier
Gold & Glory
The Shining South
The Draconomicon
The Drow of the Underdark
Pirates of the Fallen Stars
The Dalelands
And more

All of those are setting sourcebooks, not adventures.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Something to consider:

You can still get just about ALL the macro setting stuff (which is barely edition dependent) for Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms on DMs guild (generally $10 or less) so unless it's truly fresh take, why would they bother with the Macro setting stuff? You'll note the new settings (Tal Dore, Ravnica) did get setting books.

Remove ads