D&D 5E Greyhawk?

Henrix

Explorer
As far as dragonborn, I'm not really sure why people feel the need to include them in settings that have never had them. I mean, is it a matter of PHB inclusion? If the PHB had Kender would you stick them in Greyhawk and the Realms?

I'm definitely fine with no dragonborn. They're not allowed in my current Greyhawk campaign.

But if there's to be an official GH supplement I fear all the races, including dragonborn, will be in there. Thus my query.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
If they announce a Greyhawk hardback, we can alway put a petition to NOT INCLUDE Dragonborns in the Flanaess. XD They just don't belong to them.

meomwt

First Post
From a power standpoint, a dragonborn character should balance with other PCs right out of its entry in the PHB without any modification. And they do get to pick a draconic heritage that flavors them towards a specific chromatic or metallic type of dragon. If narratively you want to say it's a half-dragon you could probably do so with no other steps needed.

Giving a PC a draconic parent might be a good narrative twist (especially if the parent didn't realise that it was a dragon they were mating with: a number of Dragons on Oerth spend time pretending to be humans), and tie into a choice of background which fits with the race.

In articles leading up to the launch of 5E, Mearls was keen to point out the marrative and story behind mechanical choices. This, I think, is a good way of incorporating something new, and maintaining a narrative reason for it.

Certainly, I would not want a dragonborn in every Greyhawk party I ran, but as an interesting role-playing challenge (and narrative mechanism), I can see it being a worthwhile option to include.

Having run an adventure in the past which included a cross-breed dragon as the chief villain, there is not such a stretch to a half-dragon PC.

Aaron L

Hero
On the other hand, if people want the old Greyhawk without any change, is a new book really necessary?

Not wanting new races shoehorned into the setting does not equal "only wanting the old Greyhawk without any changes."

Not to mention that there currently isn't any kind of Greyhawk setting book in print or easy to get a hold of.

A Hardback version of something like the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, done in the style of the FRCS (except it WOULD include maps) would be wonderful; it can advance the date a bit and include some new happenings, just as long as it isn't any Oerth-shattering event like those Realms-Shattering-Retcon-Do-Overs that shake up that setting every (in game) decade or so. That gets old real quick.

(Seriously, I really do like the Realms... or at least I DID like it until the 4E changes. What the Hell?)

Remove ads