• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grim n' Gritty rules...

Bendris Noulg

First Post
What I've got is about 4 threads touching on different aspects of this rule (one for Wounds/Skills/Healing, one for Critical Hits, etc.).

I'll combine them tonight to be more comprehensive and post a link here later.:D

Stalker0

Legend
I agree with most everyone here, G&G is a great system for lowmagic, lower encounter adventures. I think it makes roleplaying much better- considering there's a much larger risk to your players. No more, "why negotiate, kill them!!"

However, for standard dnd I don't think it works that well.

Hollywood

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I agree with most everyone here, G&G is a great system for lowmagic, lower encounter adventures. I think it makes roleplaying much better- considering there's a much larger risk to your players. No more, "why negotiate, kill them!!"

However, for standard dnd I don't think it works that well.

Probably doesn't, but adding more HitDice or class levels to monsters, using higher CR encounters, etc. does. After an encounter or two where the PCs are either dying or dead because they just charged in willy-nilly, I'm sure that the players will get the point and start parlaying more, using skills to avoid encounters in the first place, etc.

Albert_Fish

First Post
The way we use the Grim-N-Gritty rules is pretty much how Ken hood has them laid out with a few changes to the rules.

We use Vitality points ( basically your Hitpoints as per class and level) and then your Wound or Hit Points ( based upon your constitution with Ken's Progression table). Vitality represents the same thing as it does in every other system, superficial scratches, bruises, cramps, and wearing out.

Wounds/Hitpoints represent bloody gashes to the head, Broken tendons and such.

Critical hits go Directly to Wounds/HP
Sneak Attacks/Pounces go directly to Wounds/HP

OPTION 1: Sneak attacks could do regular +d6 of damage, half applied to Vitality, half applied to Wounds/HP. ( as in Forbidden Kingdoms)

A weapon with Penetration that exceeds the Protection of the target delivers damage directly to Wounds/HP.
Most, but not all, Called shots deliver damage to Wounds/HP.

I have not worked out how spells will work inthis mixed system.

All other attacks do damage to Vitality

We did have a problem with Monks. WE dont use Ken Hood's Martial Arts system though i suppose we Could. The monk has no way to penetrate heavy armour. We are in the process of figuring out a way for him to bypass Protection but still keep other Fighting Classes viable.

WE have several options:
Penetration Feats.
Replacing Stunning Attack with Penetrating blow.
Giving a Monk a Penetration Value equivalent to half his level.

WE play ina Low magic world. Bards are the nearest thing to Wizards. it has Worked nicely so far. The PCs have faced off agsint Elves, Kobolds and Ogres. 4 Fourth level characters could not take out even one ogre in 5 rounds of combat before the ogres stole some captive elves and ran into the woods.

Rule#1 Do not pit your Characters against anything with High Protection values until much later in Levels!

We also dole out many more feats than would otherwise occur, particularly for the fighter.

This is to represent that they are the pinnacle of the warrior elite in thier society and they have been trained their whole lives to Explore the Forbidden World (and i also just bought the Mongoose book with all those feats in it).

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Shalewind said:
Thanks Bendris Noulg.
A very interesting and well thought out system. ;)
Thank you. Obviously, a few more adjustments are necessary, but it's forming up rather nicely.

I'll post notice when I get to do an update, but distractions are many (especially with kids... Gotta love 'em.).

uv23

First Post
G&G is fundamentally flawed in that it gives an advantage only to a small group of weapons. A proper system would consider piercing/slashing/bludgeoning weapons vs different armor types rather than just piercing weapons. A mace is going to be far more effective vs someone wearing plate armor (internal injury) than a dagger is.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I've contemplated something similar, but then it becomes a matter of over-burdeoning the system.

Note, I'm not discrediting it. I just want to work the kinks out of what I got and play with it a few times before I add an additional steps. Also, obvious armor-destruction type weapons (Crossbows, Picks) come to mind, but again, as above, I want to know what I've got is working before adding more.

Ideas and suggestions happily considered, of course.:D

Remove ads