D&D 5E Grimbul, Grimbul & Smith - Heroes for Hire

zabouth

Explorer
Hey

I'm about to start my first real campaign as a DM after running 3 one shot adventures (we are a new group with 0 experience so running so it seemed like a good way to get started). I want the setting to be somewhat silly/laid back so my thinking was we start with something a bit absurd. This is how I came to the idea of Grimbul, Grimbul & Smith - Heroes for Hire. I want to start with our heroes meeting at a job interview for Grimbul, Grimbul & Smith a company that hires heroes to people in need. It seems like a fun way to get some back story and e.g "What made you apply for this position", "Where do you see yourself in five years?" and would give me the flexibility to vary the adventures. Also I think it would leave me open to a large story involving the company partners. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this before and if i am overlooking anything due to my inexperience?

Edit: Apologies if this is in the wrong forums or I broke any rules etc.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Several of my players were going to be out a few weeks ago so I asked the 2 that were coming what they wanted in a 1-shot.

They asked for a modern office setting and wanted to play crazy monster characters.

So I had their Hill Giant barbarian & Mindflayer PCs appear in our RL modern city. They had to find a guy at an office to interview with to become talent scouts for a Fantasy Gladiator start-up. The giant ate every other person he met. They were very interested in dressing up in pimp clothing and finding a home so they contacted the Fixer Upper couple. Lots of zanniness ensued.

Lanliss

Explorer
Hey

I'm about to start my first real campaign as a DM after running 3 one shot adventures (we are a new group with 0 experience so running so it seemed like a good way to get started). I want the setting to be somewhat silly/laid back so my thinking was we start with something a bit absurd. This is how I came to the idea of Grimbul, Grimbul & Smith - Heroes for Hire. I want to start with our heroes meeting at a job interview for Grimbul, Grimbul & Smith a company that hires heroes to people in need. It seems like a fun way to get some back story and e.g "What made you apply for this position", "Where do you see yourself in five years?" and would give me the flexibility to vary the adventures. Also I think it would leave me open to a large story involving the company partners. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this before and if i am overlooking anything due to my inexperience?

Edit: Apologies if this is in the wrong forums or I broke any rules etc.

I have not done something like this, but it sounds quite fun. Maybe add in some odd questions like "If you could exempt yourself from adventures involving a single thing, what would that thing be? (Examples include, but are not limited to, Flaying of Minds, cannibalism, or socializing with Aristocrats)"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hey

I started a very long campaign once on just this sort of premise. A famous adventuring company was hiring; they held a mass recruitment in the big city the campaign began in. As neophyte adventurers looking for work, naturally all the PCs showed up - along with about 100 others. The company threw out half as unsuitable and divided the rest up into proto-parties (with all the PCs in one, obviously), then sent them out on "training missions". These training missions were intended to be suicide runs, as the whole thing was a set-up intended to strip the place of its budding adventurers; and I got several years worth of sessions out of that plotline, woven among others.

Your idea is very close to the same only you'll role-play the interview process I kinda skipped through.

Lan-"and if your players are on their toes they'll be asking questions right back, as in 'how much of our treasure has to go to GG&S?'"-efan

Remove ads