D&D General grodog's multiversal neighbors for Greyhawk

Coroc

Hero
Sad. I expected this to be a discussion of Aerth, Earth, Uerth, and Yarth in connection to Oerth.

Didn't you forget Ärth, Örth and Ürth, as well as Zrth Brth and Frth?

Ideally there should be one Xrth for every characterlevel to spend on :p

(I'm just trolling a bit no offense, pls do not take my post serious)

Coroc

Hero
More campaign planning, on the planar side of things: Planar Architecture for grodog's Current Greyhawk Campaigns

Allan.

Did read through your blogpost now, some interesting aspects there. I did a bit of planehopping as well with my current Greyhawk campaign, but it was limited to be drawn into Ravenloft a few times and Vecnas Citadel Cavitus in the demiplane of ash and shadows.

But, as you of course know, Greyhawk has Tovag Baragu, which is an excellent "Sigil light" element in like a "planar central station". That RAW part of the lore is something I would put to extended use.
Edit: like with Oerth and Citadel Cavitus, maybe put a "copy" of Tovag Baragu on every other world, with some of the gates functional and some not e.g.

But I got a question about you and your players: You seem to be a pretty thorough DM when designing worlds, but that is a lot of details also, how much of this stuff is only important for you, and how much background lore do your players desire?

You see, imho planehopping a la Planescape is different than doing this within a standard campaign world. With Planescape it is more often characteristic planes like e.g. Mechanus , which are much more different from prime planes, but you can describe those far easier to the players, and have them memorize main aspects, than with other prime planes, which are - how do I say this so you get what I want to express - , well they are more like a different country or continent, but you cannot travel there by normal means.

So what I want to say is, if you are using "parallel" worlds like feywild or shadowfell or maybe "(partially) synchronous primes" where things overlap each other, and things you do on one plane afflicts things on the other, then it gets very interesting imho.
Otoh just travelling from Oerth to Faerun or Krynn, for a change in landscape, does not make much sense to me in the case of intra prime material planehopping.

grodog

Hero
Did read through your blogpost now, some interesting aspects there.

Thanks!

But I got a question about you and your players: You seem to be a pretty thorough DM when designing worlds, but that is a lot of details also, how much of this stuff is only important for you, and how much background lore do your players desire? [snip]

So what I want to say is, if you are using "parallel" worlds like feywild or shadowfell or maybe "(partially) synchronous primes" where things overlap each other, and things you do on one plane afflicts things on the other, then it gets very interesting imho.
Otoh just travelling from Oerth to Faerun or Krynn, for a change in landscape, does not make much sense to me in the case of intra prime material planehopping.

If I'm following your question properly---and I'm not sure that I am @Coroc so please correct my interpretation here as necessary---I think that you're asking how much effort is required to breathe life into these alternate Prime planes to make them interesting in and of themselves, while also making them distinct from Oerth. Is that right?

Allan.

grodog

Hero
Sad. I expected this to be a discussion of Aerth, Earth, Uerth, and Yarth in connection to Oerth.

As it turns out, I know little about those other worlds in Gary's "Earths" nomenclature, beyond some of the sketch notes that he detailed in Polyhedron and off-hand mentions in the Gord stories. So, I don't really have a solid basis to be able to include them as playable worlds, at the moment. I don't know how much material that there is to compile on all of those places, but a quick search through Jason Zavoda's Greyhawk index doesn't suggest that there's a lot to work with. I think....

Allan.

Coroc

Hero
Thanks!

If I'm following your question properly---and I'm not sure that I am @Coroc so please correct my interpretation here as necessary---I think that you're asking how much effort is required to breathe life into these alternate Prime planes to make them interesting in and of themselves, while also making them distinct from Oerth. Is that right?

Allan.
yes like that, but additionally how to get things interesting for those alternate primes, unless you take my "overlay aka shadowfell" approach, or you make them really different like with planescapes inner and outer planes.

Remove ads