Grognard view of One D&D?

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I'm hopeful that WoTC will not completely kill the golden goose that is 5E.

But I recognize that I'm not part of their target market anymore.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
5,0 had many nods to older editions. The 2024 edition will clearly have fewer. But it may still work for me. And it will still retain many of the elements found in most editions.

I am running my 9th pre 1985 module converted to 5e. It works well. I get most of the complaints, and I have house rules. But those modules still work, and you can still challenge the player, and sometimes scare them, even in 5e. And there have been improvements over the deca, in player choice, rules coherence, and ease of DMing. There may be more improvements in 2024.

This still attempts to ignore that what will make something a "fun game" is not the same for everyone. There's no standard metric for what in game book will be viewed as "fun".
I disagree, people are people and their are plenty of baselines that nearly everyone finds fun.

And how do you do that, specifically.
Well, a whole game design would really need another thread.

It was an unstated assumption. I'll rephrase it if you like:I don't think that creating a game that everyone finds fun is that easy. If you tried to do that you would end up with a camel that no one finds fun.
I agree it will be "hard", but anything worth doing is "hard". And it won't be "everyone", per the 20% rule, that 20% will hate it no matter what.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
For anyone that needs to hear it (again, if they seen me post it elsewhere) :

You can get on the bus to let someone else drive and hope that they take you where you want to go. But if you feel like you missed your stop, don't just sit there and get pulled away from your destination. Have the courage to say, that's far enough. Let me off here. This is where I want to be. This is where I belong. I can find my own way now.

I already have my One DnD, as do many others. Obviously, we are not interested in the next new thing because it fails to be our favorite thing. However, that doesn't mean we'll look to see if there's any new and interesting ideas we can steal for our own things. That doesn't make you a grognard, or whatever you want to call it, because that's how it's always been. That makes you a D&D fan. You only stop being a fan when you stop playing or taking an interest. Period.

This can be achieved by releasing two versions - dare I call them Basic and Advanced - with Basic as the simple ready-to-roll gateway.
Yes, I’ve thinking about that too.

A modified 3.5e (that is, the Core without the later excess that’s most of what people trash) with perhaps some 1e/2e & PF elements could be “forever advanced”.

And modified 5e (just to clean up) could be “forever basic”. Which is perhaps close to the One D&D idea.

Perhaps the claim that One D&D is the final edition actually is trying to do more or less this.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
I wrote a witty post which I deleted to avoid rebuke from our higher powers. My grandmother (may she rest in peace) would sympathize at least with my anglo-saxon epithets conerning certain {redacted}

Here is a picture to make peace and lift the mood:

Venus de Blidoolbip.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases