Grognard view of One D&D?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yep. I have a feeling that the playtest will last 12-18 months, then it will be closed and WotC will do whatever they want regardless of feedback.
They've literally already changed things in the playtest according to feedback. In D&DNext's Playtest, the feedback they got shaped the 5e we got in 2014. I see no reason to come up with baseless conspiracy theories about how WotC is pretending to "playtest" these things among the community but will ignore them and do whatever they want.
If OneD&D is just fixes and tweaks to a half version from 5E to "5.5E" why even bother having a playtest? My bet is that we will see an entirely new edition based on the d20 chassis of 3,x and 5E, but thats just my opinion.
Have you not looked over any of the playtest documents yet? There are some pretty major changes being tested out (Class Groups, Feats becoming core, Half-Casters getting cantrips and spells at level 1, new crit and inspiration rules, etc).

R_J_K75

Legend
I see no reason to come up with baseless conspiracy theories
From what I understand there was a lot of feedback in the 5E playtest that people liked but was removed, so I don't think its fair to say I'm coming up with baseless conspiracy theories
Have you not looked over any of the playtest documents yet? There are some pretty major changes being tested out
Yes I have looked them over, which is why I said I think that we will end up with new edition as opposed to a revision. My opinion is that regardless, the final product we get in 2024 will look different from the playtest.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
From what I understand there was a lot of feedback in the 5E playtest that people liked but was removed, so I don't think its fair to say I'm coming up with baseless conspiracy theories
Care to give a source?
Yes I have looked them over, which is why I said I think that we will end up with new edition as opposed to a revision. My opinion is that regardless, the final product we get in 2024 will look different from the playtest.
They have many, many reasons to try and prevent this "updated edition" from being widely called a "new edition" by the community (if they can). New editions scare people, especially newer players, which 5e has an abundance of. WotC pulling the rug out from under the feet of its millions of newer players would be a bad move, because it would lose them money and forever make them lose the trust of their fanbase.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I don’t share the cynical take on the playtest. They’ve been doing the UA-survey cycle all throughout the life of 5e. It makes sense they would continue doing it for 6e, and it helps get people hyped about the new edition while assuaging any concerns regarding compatibility.

As for why I’m calling it 6e: I’m calling it 6e because I want it to be to 5e like 2e was to 1e. It may have been necessary eventually for a 3e-like break, but that shouldn’t be the standard approach for every subsequent edition. 6e should be (more or less) compatible with 5e, and that should be the expectation going forward (for 7e, etc).

GreyLord

Legend
For a couple of years following 4E's release, the D&D brand slipped so much that another game (Pathfinder) became the #1 RPG on the market. It was the first and only time that has ever happened.

If I recall, Pathfinder overtook D&D once D&D after it was announced it would end and stopped being printed in prep for the next edition of 5e.

There normally is a drastic decline anytime a new edition is announced, and stopping the outpouring of new material almost always is a good way for sales to decline.

That's a situation which makes it easier for another brand to outsell it for awhile...especially if materials are being printed for it while none are being produced for D&D. The fact that D&D didn't sink further is an attestation of how big D&D is on the market.

This doesn't mean that sales were lower than in earlier editions (my guess is that while 3.X had around 5 million, 4e had more like 2-3 million players, but that's a guess).

What I think was heard is that Hasbro set expectations for core brands to be selling at a minimum of 50 million dollars a year. Some thought core brands should be at 100 million a year. D&D wasn't making that much and Hasbro was a little disappointed in that aspect at the time. This probably caused some difficulties and reorganization of expectations and how the brand was presented.

I imagine the goal is still to somehow get the D&D brand (that's brand, not game) to attain a 50 - 100 million mark by various means and retain that each year. Whether they are suceeding or not is probably only known by those in charge of that, but it would no longer have been expected to meet it immediately upon 5e's release (or so I would think).

MTG is still the big money maker, and hence the bigger focus these days in any case. D&D has a large interest in it's following, but I imagine MtG is the one which has a bigger interest from Hasbro these days.

GreyLord

Legend
I don’t share the cynical take on the playtest. They’ve been doing the UA-survey cycle all throughout the life of 5e. It makes sense they would continue doing it for 6e, and it helps get people hyped about the new edition while assuaging any concerns regarding compatibility.

As for why I’m calling it 6e: I’m calling it 6e because I want it to be to 5e like 2e was to 1e. It may have been necessary eventually for a 3e-like break, but that shouldn’t be the standard approach for every subsequent edition. 6e should be (more or less) compatible with 5e, and that should be the expectation going forward (for 7e, etc).

This isn't 6e though, not that I have heard. It's an anniversary edition which is compatible with 5e, hence it is all D&D and One D&D under One Umbrella.

That's my understanding of it, though I could be wrong.

R_J_K75

Legend
This isn't 6e though, not that I have heard. It's an anniversary edition which is compatible with 5e, hence it is all D&D and One D&D under One Umbrella.

That's my understanding of it, though I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure you are correct according to the video that was initially released announcing OneD&D. My gut tells me it will be backwards compatible, but I think they are going to give it an umbrella title to try and avoid calling it something that designates it as a new edition, but my feeling is that it will be different enough where fans may consider it new. Might come down to semantics and personal opinion whether it is or not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases