D&D General Groin punch/kick?

R_J_K75

Legend
If playing in a system with critical hits, I would allow such a thing on a critical hit. It wouldn't do any more than the regular critical hit would, but the story impact would be memorable.

I can speak from experience, getting kicked square in the nuts hurts really bad, and also stuns you if not outright drops you. In a street fight, if you get hit there there is a good chance that the other person is going to get the upper hand. So I would say that the effects of being prone or stunned in this situation outweigh any damage. Of course theres some sick and twisted folk out there who like the old Rochambeau.

the Jester

Legend
Considering that I’m a man:in dnd(any edition) what damage would a groin punch/kick actually do? Would it cau extra damage to either a man or a woman?

No. No free damage for a called shot. Instead of "I hit them in the groin to do extra damage!", think of it this way- "I hit, I do good damage, must have been somewhere tender!"

R_J_K75

Legend
No free damage for a called shot

The way Id work it a called shots typically cost a full attack action at hefty penalties, so on a successful hit the player should be rewarded for taking the chance, and more if they roll a nat 20. No right or wrong answer just my opinion.

jgsugden

Legend
I've allowed PCs to deliver a groin shot.

The groin shot was delivered at disadvantage and dealt half damage (rounded down). It forced a DC 10 Con save or the target was sickened (like poisoned, but not subject to poison resistance). It can repeat a saving throw at the *start*of each of its turns to end the effect.

Generally not worth it, but you might do it for storytelling reasons.

Bupp

Adventurer
I don't allow "called shots", but would definitely narrate a Nat 20 as a groin shot. Forgo the extra damage to apply the incapacitated or stunned condition.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Considering that I’m a man:in dnd(any edition) what damage would a groin punch/kick actually do? Would it cau extra damage to either a man or a woman?
If you prick us, do we not bleed? Or, something less cryptic from the 5e basic rules:

"You can play a male or female character without gaining any special benefits or hindrances."

Once you are working with weapons that rend flesh, I expect it is a rather moot point.
This. Kick me in the balls all you want - just keep your war axe away from me!

That's why PCs have critical hits. Sometimes you do a bit more damage. In the case of the rogue you know how to hit people where it will really hurt.
Well that's a new spin on the rogue ability. I think a weapon is still better than a punch or kick, though. Like this:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's called a critical hit.

Lot of attacks are aimed at vulnerable points. Many hit non-vulnerable points. Those that crit hit vulnerable points.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I've allowed PCs to deliver a groin shot.

The groin shot was delivered at disadvantage and dealt half damage (rounded down). It forced a DC 10 Con save or the target was sickened (like poisoned, but not subject to poison resistance). It can repeat a saving throw at the *start*of each of its turns to end the effect.
That's funny, because it just reminded me that when my brothers and I were all kids, we referred to the stomach-churning sensation of getting hit in the groin as "poisoned". So now I'm envisioning some poor Little Leaguer who got pummeled in the jewels by a line-drive, writhing on the ground in the fetal position surrounded by a big green condition ring that reads "POISONED!!"

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
The liver? That's not sitting near the body surface, and is partially protected by the rib cage, so that sounds weird for an unarmed combat shot.

I don't have any kind of valid statistical evidence about the percentage of TKOs... but I was taught that right to the body targeted the solar plexus and left to the body was for the liver. I'm a southpaw, so I spent a lot more time practicing the latter.

Remove ads