D&D 5E Dex barbarian

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You don't subscribe to class balance?

If so, that's a minority opinion for D&D.
Not to the extent that some people on these boards do, no. Some people whiteboard the crap out of every single mechanic that gets introduced into the game and if it's even like a half-point of damage more or less than some other mechanic, then they say the mechanic is crap and has to be thrown out. But 5E D&D has so many extras which every class gets that are not numbers-related or are open to DM interpretation and ruling that you can't suss out the "balance" over every single class in the way that some players want it to be. Especially players who are over the moon for 4E-style mechanical class balance.

To me class balance is rather simple... just don't have anything that overpowers and overshadows every other class that does relatively the same sort of thing. And something has to be really far out there to do that. And 3-5 more points of average damage per round sure as heck ain't that.

For what it's worth, we did session zero yesterday. The inspiration is clearly a Warhammer wardancer. After reading all the input in this thread (thanks everyone), I was ok with the player choosing to go dex-based. Str 12, Dex 18, two short swords. He went with eladrin rather than wood elf, skinning the teleport ability as an acrobatic flip or leap. No decision on subclass yet, most likely totem warrior but given he wants to run a magicless character, I might allow the subclass's magic abilities to be swapped out for something else, perhaps a fighting style.

ECMO3

Hero
You don't subscribe to class balance?

If so, that's a minority opinion for D&D.
I don't subscribe to balance being important. The definition and metric for measuring it itself is illusive and I don't see any evidence balance makes the game better in any way. While balance is a regular topic on this forum and as you allude the majority on this forum probably think it is good or even necessary. But I don't think most players think about balance at all.

Whether or not balance itself is good; the "fixes" I've seen to achieve "better balance" are almost always bad, typically unpopular and usually make the game less fun. I have never seen a game be made better by them.

5E is wildly unbalanced when it comes to classes (and even more when you add subclasses). Worse, the class imbalance is not consistent at all levels and changes in extreme ways. A Monk for examples goes from being the strongest class, to then being the weakest class and then back to being the strongest non-caster as they progress from level 1 to level 20. If you really want to balance Monk with the "average" you would need to weaken them at low level, strengthen them at mid levels and then weaken them again at high levels. That is a daunting task and most efforts will inevitably make the imbalance worse during different parts of the game, while also usually making the mechanics more complex.

The extreme levels of class imbalance that exist have not hurt the popularity of the game in IME have not hurt the gameplay experience either. The players I have played with have had a ton of fun in the 5E games and the class imbalance that exists has never hurt this IME.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have found a higher level character does fine with a 16 high if played skillfully.

We get way too hung up on maxing stuff out and assumed standards.

Go for it and have fun!!!!it will be fine…

For what it's worth, we did session zero yesterday. The inspiration is clearly a Warhammer wardancer. After reading all the input in this thread (thanks everyone), I was ok with the player choosing to go dex-based. Str 12, Dex 18, two short swords. He went with eladrin rather than wood elf, skinning the teleport ability as an acrobatic flip or leap. No decision on subclass yet, most likely totem warrior but given he wants to run a magicless character, I might allow the subclass's magic abilities to be swapped out for something else, perhaps a fighting style.
At level 3? Sounds like a good idea. Reckless attack with dex, two handed fighting style and rage bonus.

So at level 3 it is 2d6+12 damage with advantage and AC 14+whatever his con bonus is and maybe bear totem for resist vs all damage but psychic?

I'd play that character. Maybe I find myself multiclassing rogues so I also get sneak attack on top of that.

So at level 3 it is 2d6+12 damage with advantage and AC 14+whatever his con bonus is and maybe bear totem for resist vs all damage but psychic?
I'm not allowing reckless attack or rage damage with Dex, after some thought.

I think he's more likely to go elk or eagle style, for extra mobility and because they fit the character better than bear. I haven't played with this guy before, but so far he's shown a willingness to bypass some of the more numerically powerful options in favour of building to his concept.

At level 3, that'll be two attacks at +6 for 1d6+4 each, with AC 14+Con, or Reckless he can make 2 attacks at +3 with advantage, for 1d6 + 3 each with AC 14+Con but advantage to incoming attacks. Pretty clear advantage to attacking with dex at this stage. But he can also attack with a bow at +6/1d8+4 and roll stealth checks at +6, which a Str barbarian can't do, so it balances out.

Last edited:

I'm not allowing reckless attack or rage damage with Dex, after some thought.

I think he's more likely to go elk or eagle style, for extra mobility and because they fit the character better than bear. I haven't played with this guy before, but so far he's shown a willingness to bypass some of the more numerically powerful options in favour of building to his concept.

At level 3, that'll be two attacks at +6 for 1d6+4 each, with AC 14+Con, or Reckless he can make 2 attacks at +3 with advantage, for 1d6 + 3 each with AC 14+Con but advantage to incoming attacks. Pretty clear advantage to attacking with dex at this stage. But he can also attack with a bow at +4/1d8+4 and roll stealth checks at +6, which a Str barbarian can't do, so it balances out.
I agree. Just tried it out in dndbeyond. Seems like a very legit concept. Also took elk style. Just fits.

Remove ads