GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

Bacris

First Post
amethal said:
The impression I get is that the whole "business license" thing is just a guideline. If you can demonstrate that you are a genuine business I hope you'd be fine.

For instance, there's no such thing as a business license in the UK, but I dare say that if Mongoose wanted to sign up for the GSL then WotC would let them.

Sorry, but that contradicts what I've heard from people who specifically spoke with WotC about this issue - including people from the UK.

Maybe it's been changed since then, but at this point, it's a pretty moot subject, since the books are out in just over 2 months anyway.

Lizard

Explorer
Bacris said:
Sorry, but that contradicts what I've heard from people who specifically spoke with WotC about this issue - including people from the UK.

Maybe it's been changed since then, but at this point, it's a pretty moot subject, since the books are out in just over 2 months anyway.

More to the point, an abstract standard of "You're a real business if we think you are" is just asking for legal trouble. Something objective, for example, "Retail sales of over 10K of OGL product in the past year" would be a fair standard, though that excludes those who wanted to jump in on the nascent 4e market in the hope it would bloom like the 3e market did, early on. Frankly, the 5K alone should be enough; no one is going to pony up that just to look at the books six months...I mean, two months...early.

AZRogue

First Post
Does anyone know if the new release date for the GSL has been pushed back to AFTER the release of the game? It seems possible, given that we only have 2 months left to go. Is there an official update, at least, that has, or can be, announced? Even an occasional "the GSL is still under review and we apologize for the unexpected delay" would go a long way with me.

nutluck

First Post
kenmarable said:
That's a good point I hadn't really considered either. Perhaps cutting off the competing games that piggyback on D&D is shortsighted as well? Given the fact that there will be competing systems no matter what, forcing those systems to be less compatible might be costing WotC in the long run? I don't know, there's a lot of factors. How compatible is it? Would more competing systems exist under the OGL than the hypothetical GSL? Or would they just be more visible?

I think having systems even if they did not directly help the sales of the PHB helped wizards as a whole. I know of more than one group that stuck with D20 games only. Once they got use to it they didn't want to learn other rules and while some of the D20 games where pretty different the basic concept of them was the same and easier to learn.

So i think if they do cut out stand alone systems based on the new 4e D20 rules it will be a mistake. Will it cost them? i think so, how much is the question. I don't think it will be much but I do think it is short sighted not to see the value of such products and that they encourage everyone to stay with d20 derived games including DnD.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
lurkinglidda said:
Chris Perkins recently described me as the only person at WotC with the ability to make posts that don't upset the entire community (or something along those lines).

I'll let you in on a secret: it's a feat called "Utter Integrity" and it can be found on page 1 of my personal PHB. ;)
For this encounter, your treasure is 10 lbs of respect.

lurkinglidda

First Post
amethal said:
The impression I get is that the whole "business license" thing is just a guideline. If you can demonstrate that you are a genuine business I hope you'd be fine.

For instance, there's no such thing as a business license in the UK, but I dare say that if Mongoose wanted to sign up for the GSL then WotC would let them.

Our legal team is making exceptions for companies that are based in areas that do not have business licenses on a case by case basis.

lurkinglidda

First Post
AZRogue said:
Does anyone know if the new release date for the GSL has been pushed back to AFTER the release of the game? It seems possible, given that we only have 2 months left to go. Is there an official update, at least, that has, or can be, announced? Even an occasional "the GSL is still under review and we apologize for the unexpected delay" would go a long way with me.

Here goes: The GSL is still under review and we apologize for the unexpected delay ;-) That's the best I can say for right now.

I hesitate to comment on a new release date or if the window of exclusivity will be extended until I have a better status on the GSL.

AZRogue

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
Here goes: The GSL is still under review and we apologize for the unexpected delay ;-) That's the best I can say for right now.

I hesitate to comment on a new release date or if the window of exclusivity will be extended until I have a better status on the GSL.

Haha, thanks. :)

Mike_Lescault

First Post
Hi All,

They dragged me, kicking and screaming, back from vacation and I wanted to follow up on this issue as promised. Obviously, Linae's a key person working on this stuff and her insight into the area will forever dwarf what little informaton and undestanding I can track down, but with that said, I have a quote from Liz Schuh, D&D Publishing Brand Director.

“We’re still vetting our final policy regarding open gaming. As soon as that process is complete, we’ll make an official announcement. Stay tuned for more information.”

I'll make sure additional informaton is passed on when I receive it, but for now this is the best we can do for a quote.

Thanks,
-Mike

Lizard

Explorer
Mike_Lescault said:
Hi All,

They dragged me, kicking and screaming, back from vacation and I wanted to follow up on this issue as promised. Obviously, Linae's a key person working on this stuff and her insight into the area will forever dwarf what little informaton and undestanding I can track down, but with that said, I have a quote from Liz Schuh, D&D Publishing Brand Director.

“We’re still vetting our final policy regarding open gaming. As soon as that process is complete, we’ll make an official announcement. Stay tuned for more information.”

I'll make sure additional informaton is passed on when I receive it, but for now this is the best we can do for a quote.

Thanks,
-Mike

Hmmm.

That sounds like their planning to announce their policy -- not the release of the GSL.

Hands up, all those who think there WON'T be a GSL or an SRD by June....

Remove ads