• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Cergorach said:
I highly doubt that WotC felt any negative effects that weren't canceled out by the positive effects from the 'free' releases of the SRD. Sure there are many folks that said and continue to say that they'll never need a PHB because they have the SRD. I'm certain that 99% of those folks would have been as happy to use a 'pirated' copy of the PHB/DMG/MM if the SRD weren't available for 'free'.

Whether or not those same people would resort to getting illegal copies or not doesn't really matter. What matters from WoTC's perspective is if it benefits them. While a lot of consumers and fans of the OGL like to argue that there were positive effects, the key thing from WoTC is whether or not it fits their bottom line, their marketing strategies, etc. Only they can know whether or not they benefit from it, and the decision is ultimately theirs.

Because my 'common' sense tells me that a lot of the folks playing those games might very well have moved to other game systems if the OGL variant systems weren't created.

True, but from what I've seen, back in the days before 3e, there were several competing games. Regardless of whether or not the OGL exists, it doesn't seem to change the fact that the reason why the "d20 games" are popular is not because of the "open", but rather that D&D is the game people really want to play and write for.

And technically, Mutants and Masterminds, True-20, etc, are significantly different enough for me to consider them different games. In fact, the third-parties involved were smart, they 've differentiated their product enough from D&D to make it viable for fans to get it if they don't choose to use a 4e license.

The ability to revoke the GSL for any other reasons the not following it, I see as bad! Very, very bad! Not only publishers invest an enormous amount of effort and money into third part product lines, so does the consumer. If for whatever reason WotC decides to end the license, it means no further third products can be made, a logical time for that to happen would be when 5E is introduced (possibly under yet another license, or worse, no license).

Well, all licenses have that risk. It seems to work for everything such as franchises to role-playing games based on settings. Usually, businessmen can work this out. Other license work that way--you enter into a contract for 10 years, etc. A fast-food franchise is purchased but has to follow rules of quality and pay the fees, or they get there license revoked. Usually, there are protections for the licensee as well. When somebody like Hasbro licenses GI Joe or Transformers to a comic company or a animation studio, they license for x years and have "standards and practices" or a "core bible" to follow.

The OGL is a highly unusual license. It was meant to emulate aspects of the GPL, but I personally think it's not a very good license to apply to creative fictional endeavors.

Using anybody else's content is always risky. Thus, you have to make a decision if it's worth it or would you rather work with content you yourself created and have total control over. Want the McDonald's name? Pay the fee and follow the rules. Want to publish an Indiana Jones comic, follow Lucasfilm's rules.

Except for the fact that it might be necessary to actually get some licensees. If the GSL can be revoked at-will by WotC, I'll be amazed if they get any licensees.

To be honest, I don't think it would be unilaterally at will. I suspect they'd have guidelines and warnings. If WoTC did revoke willy-nilly people wouldn't use it. However, if they reserved it for people who did things like make the "Nazi Child-molesting Satanist's Happy-Fun supplement" and revoked those who did that, then people would know what would tick them off and simply not write such supplements.

If you want total control, make your own restaurant, your own pulp-era adventurer, or your own RPG.

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
@JohnRTroy
1. Last Quote isn't from me, might be useful if you 'credited' the right individual ;-)
2. WotC is well within their right to change the terms with the release of their 'new' rule set. I do have my doubts whether that is wise, WotC created with the OGL a certain set of expectations, with the GSL they throw the OGL overboard (if they could cancel it they probably would have). Again, I'm not saying that they don't have the right to do so, they certainly do. It's just... Weird, it seems as if WotC is buying a new villa and letting the old one crumble to dust because there were some things they didn't like.

The OGL and the D20 STL were already two separate entities, of which the D20 STL could be revoked (it probably will). The OGL could be updated to version 2.0 in the same way as the GPL. The D20 STL could be replaced by a DnD STL, granting publisher exclusive rights to certain parts of the DnD IP that aren't covered in the OGL (such as claiming compatibility with D&D), but certain things might not be done with it (such as no independent rulebooks). WotC now comes across as a bit inconsistent, lord knows what they'll do in the future. Especially now with the actual license overdue by months, the confidence of publishers in WotC isn't getting much higher. Folks are of course very interested in 4E (I don't think I've seen Clark post this often on ENworld in years ;-) and that hype is going to continue for a while. But how many publishers are going to fork over 5k for a six month head start, if that also includes development time? There are already publishers that aren't sure if they're going 4E, Green Ronin and Mongoose. The 'dramatic' change in license didn't help, the ambiguity of that license is still a big problem (and getting bigger every week).

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Admiral Caine said:
I just checked Paizo.com, and their message board and store have temporarily shut down with a mysterious message:

Paizo Board with strange message

The main link switches over to this one...

I think we're going to have some answers soon.

An here it is.

Seems to me that WotC waited too long with the delivery of the GSL and lost one of the key players in the 3rd party field. Paizo has not closed the door to the 4E (they will work with Necromancer on that front), but it sure puts a damper on things.

Yair

Community Supporter
I've got a few questions for WotC, though I doubt if they'll get answered:

1) Will the GSL include terms that will allow WotC to effectively change its content in an unrestricted manner, as the d20 STL did?

2) Will the GSL have termination clauses that will allow WotC to forbid the production of certain products or the use of the license by certain parties even if they did not violate a specific limitation of the licencse?

3) As someone that isn't publishing commercially and does not wish to register, pay money, or so on - will the GSL or official WotC fan-site policy allow me to publish a setting, adventure, classes, feats, or so on on my website?

Thanks,
Yair

Brown Jenkin

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
@Yair

Of course we cannot reply! We cannot publicly share any data on the GSL until after June 6th.

You can't or you choose not to. Very different answers. If you can't then you are likely under some higher level NDA. If you choose not to then it is a business decision likely based on marketing issues and potential impact on sales. The first is one you have no control over, the second is one that you could answer if you chose to, but for whatever reason you feel it is better not to.

lurkinglidda

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
You can't or you choose not to. Very different answers. If you can't then you are likely under some higher level NDA. If you choose not to then it is a business decision likely based on marketing issues and potential impact on sales. The first is one you have no control over, the second is one that you could answer if you chose to, but for whatever reason you feel it is better not to.
Can't.
I prefer to remain employed.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Orcus said:
Here is how:

Make "d20 = D&D" and really hammer that home. They didnt do that. That made it less than important for us publishers. I hate to admit it, but we publishers didnt necessarily want an open game license.
You and who else?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Guys, please be as cool as possible to LurkingLidda. She is the main point of contact for publishers hoping to use the GSL, but she does not call the shots. Clearly, the final GSL has not been approved by The Powers That Be, so Lidda can't provide concrete information about the terms of that unapproved document.

Remove ads