GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - D&D Miniatures discussion

Brown Jenkin

First Post
An interesting idea was presented at the GTS D&D Seminar towards the end during question and answer time. Questions had been raised again about the possibility of having War Bands boxes. While it was explained that was not really feasible another audience member had an alternate solution that seemed to recieve great feedback by the retailers.

Solution: Instead of having [cool?] solo monsters as the single visible figure in the pack instead make the visibles those monsters that are needed in mass. Visibles would include Orcs, Skeletons, etc. That way DMs could easily collect the large numbers of "pack" creatures without a problem. This would also drive sales of multiple units of monster packages as the DMs are likely to by 6-12 boxes of each type (all the randoms being bonuses).

The retailers were very enthusiatic about this idea. So the question is, would the DMs be equally enthused about this? Would this make you buy more D&D Miniatures?

JoeGKushner

First Post
No.

As a long time painter AND DDM collector, I've got those slots filled out to the brim.

Seeing some of the 'cool' uncommons on the other hand... or a price decrease.

An interesting idea was presented at the GTS D&D Seminar towards the end during question and answer time. Questions had been raised again about the possibility of having War Bands boxes. While it was explained that was not really feasible another audience member had an alternate solution that seemed to recieve great feedback by the retailers.

Solution: Instead of having [cool?] solo monsters as the single visible figure in the pack instead make the visibles those monsters that are needed in mass. Visibles would include Orcs, Skeletons, etc. That way DMs could easily collect the large numbers of "pack" creatures without a problem. This would also drive sales of multiple units of monster packages as the DMs are likely to by 6-12 boxes of each type (all the randoms being bonuses).

The retailers were very enthusiatic about this idea. So the question is, would the DMs be equally enthused about this? Would this make you buy more D&D Miniatures?
Interesting idea. Perhaps if, say, the "visible" was actually two minis, like two different poses of skeleton or orc or whatever; then you'd know that you're getting two skeleton minis, but they wouldn't be identical.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Yeah, I think the randomizing aspect of D&D minis would work better if you could see two or three of the commons and uncommons you were getting, but leaving the "rare" figure hidden.

I also hope, especially since the mini game isn't being produced anymore, that the distribution of minis begins to match the monster's frequency "in game".

Its always been frustrating to have a common or uncommon monster in the rpg be packaged as a rare just to drive mini sales. It's always led me to either do without, or to just buy a metal version instead.

(I broke out of the collector mentality long ago)

darjr

I crit!
I really like this idea. I'm in need of many of those slots and even after getting some filled I need more slots filled.

One day it's goblins, then derro, then shadow creatures.

Count me as one who likes this idea.

Last edited:

Remove ads