Any chance for an update on the material in Xanathar's?
I was wondering how you think Rogue 7/Ranger:Gloomstalker 11/Fighter 2 (with one more level somewhere for a ASI or Fighter archetype - Brute would be solid if you use UA) would compare with Fighter 11/Rogue 8 or another of your builds....
Gloomstalker gets you an extra attack in that first round of combat the earliest and the bonus to initiative is nice too, but it is a little MAD. Plus Darkvision (v. nice if you're human for the level 1 feat) and basically improved invisibility in darkness. I mean, that's pretty sweet too. Ranger also gives some spell-casting which can be useful.
My next character was going to be a Fighter (EK) 11/Rogue 9 Assassin... but now I'm thinking more like Rogue (A) 7/Ranger (GS) 11/Fighter 3 (Brute) though that does give fewer ASI....
I dunno. What're everyone else's thoughts?
I wouldn't consider anything from Unearthed Arcana, but now that Xanathar has formalized all of those except the brute....
I'm imagining Fighter 2 / Rogue 3 / HexBlade 1 / Gloom Stalker 3 / Paladin 11 elf with Elven Accuracy....
- Two base attacks, plus the bonus off hand attack
- Bonus to initiative +5 from dex, +2 from wis
- Critical hits on 19-20 and +6 damage per hit from hexblade
- Plenty of Smites available...
- Extra attack die on advantage
- Extra attack on first turn
- That is a first turn of three attacks plus the bonus attack. Throw in Action Surge for two more attacks makes 6. Even without surprise, the Elven Accurate / Hexblade's Curse combine to give you a 27% chance to roll a critical hit as long as you have advantage.....
Rapier = d8 / Dagger = d4
Hex or Hunter's mark = d6
Improved Smite = d8
3rd level Devine Smites (3 available) = 4d8 / 2nd level (3 available) = 3d8
Sneak attack (1 time) = 2d6
Dex mod +5
Proficiency bonus +6
First attack critical is 12d8+6d6+5+6 (86 average)
Second and third attack criticals (no sneak) is 12d8+2d6+5+6 (72 average - twice)
Bonus Action attack critical (dagger in off hand, 2nd level smites) is 8d8+2d6+2d4+5+6 (59 average)
Fourth and fifth main-hand attacks critical (2nd level smites) is 10d8+2d6+5+6 (63 average - twice).
Total average here for all five critical hits is 86+72+72+59+63+63 = 415.
Again, even without surprise, the combination above would give you about one critical hit out of every four regular attacks anyway. This would be a fun, if tricky and MAD class to play.
(This analysis was done quickly, so may be missing something.)