D&D 5E [GUIDE] Dealing Death: Handbook of the True Assassin

SubDude

Explorer
Sorry i ment 17 (edited my first post and fixed that)

And yes my wisdom is high due to monk giving me bonus AC from it due to Unarmored Defense

So yeah I'm looking for advice on my last 3 levels (or more if someone can provide a good argument for not going all the way to 11 monk)

I've recently discovered something that might fit your build as well. You've got Ranger 3, so you're half-way there. Go to Ranger 4, grab the feat, then add Paladin 2. Ranger 4 and Paladin 2 combine to give you 6 spell slots with which to smite for a relatively small investment. Of course, adding Paladin makes it a very, very MAD build!

That would make your build in total: Shadow Monk 11 / Assassin 3 / Gloom Stalker 4 / Paladin 2.

SubDude

Explorer
Why nobody here has mentioned the "Oath of Treachery" Paladin? It's thematically related to a roguish character, and her synergies are awesome for a true assassin, both archetype features and bonus spells are extremely useful...

Is that from UA? I feel like that is from UA.

Oath of Treachery is from UA. It was one of the failed attempts at a Paladin subclass that didn't make it into Xanathar's, and I really hope it doesn't make it into any official material, because it was both conceptually stupid and mechanically broken.

Also this guide sucks, I regret even writing it way back, yada yada, let it die plz.

Andre Situation

First Post
IMHO it is not conceptually stupid, it summons back the old concept of blackguards that is far away from the DMG's Oathbreaker, which looks like more than a death Knight or something that has to do with undeads and corruption.
If you all remember in 3rd edition Blackguards class had the sneak attack progression and garden variety interactions with poison and roguish mechanics.
I think that they just tried to keep up the concept here, without going out from patterns of archetypes, but actually the oath of Treachery should have been the Blackguard class.
So it's not a stupid concept per se, it seems more stupid to mark a variant of a class in this way just because it disgusts you.. >D

p.s. Apart from the insane damage of poison, thing that can be easily balanced, I don't see any broken mechanic

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Has anybody mentioned Assassin 17 / Grave Domain 2?

Assuming your DM lets you Channel Divinity without breaking stealth (or even if he/she doesn't...there are still scenarios in which this will work) you could get a whopping 80d6 + 5 in a single attack, once per rest. And if you miss you still get a second chance, with advantage, to do it. That's an average of 285, max of 485, and you only have to hit once out of four attack rolls. (With the usual caveat about Con saves, of course.)

Heck, just at level 5 it's 12d6 + stat mod.

It's too bad (or a good thing, depending on your p.o.v.) that poison damage dice aren't affected by the crit. This build is ideal for poison because it's all focused on one hit. The potential would have been for just over 1,000 points of damage (172d6).

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls

Assuming your DM lets you Channel Divinity without breaking stealth (or even if he/she doesn't...there are still scenarios in which this will work) you could get a whopping 80d6 + 5 in a single attack, once per rest. And if you miss you still get a second chance, with advantage, to do it. That's an average of 285, max of 485, and you only have to hit once out of four attack rolls. (With the usual caveat about Con saves, of course.)

It's too bad (or a good thing, depending on your p.o.v.) that poison damage dice aren't affected by the crit. This build is ideal for poison because it's all focused on one hit. The potential would have been for just over 1,000 points of damage (172d6).

Oh really? I was not aware that poison added to a weapon on a critical attack is unaffected. I thought you had to double those dice as well. That is at least how a DM played some assassins in Princes of the Apocalypse. They landed a surprise arrow right into the eye slits of our Paladin's helm. I was pretty epic and frightening.

SubDude

Explorer

Not seeing 80d6.

I get 10d6 for the short sword and sneak attack, doubled due to surprise, then doubled again due to the Path to the Grave, but that "only" gets me to 40d6. Am I missing something else?

jgsugden

Legend
Oh really? I was not aware that poison added to a weapon on a critical attack is unaffected. I thought you had to double those dice as well. That is at least how a DM played some assassins in Princes of the Apocalypse. They landed a surprise arrow right into the eye slits of our Paladin's helm. I was pretty epic and frightening.
If there is a saving throw, the poison dice are intended to not add. If the poison is automatic with no save, it does add.

As for the cleric of the grave - you're better off having that cleric ally. Causally assuming you can get an action in , stay hidden, and then attack is a lot.

For the assassin concept, I'm looking for ways to deliver that crit over and over by having a surprise and then ending the combat, but attacking again before they can heal. To me, that is a bow long ranged attacker.

Last edited:

Remove ads