• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Benny89

First Post
I think it's apples vs oranges really. I think if we already get PAM, 20 in main stat then rest is pretty much cherry on top. RES (CON) and War Caster will help a lot upholding that buffs in battle (RES CON more, but Warcaster allow for some neat synergies with Warlock cantrips so imo War Caster is better if you dip with PAM, otherwise RES CON if pure paladin or non-PAM build) while HAM can help reducing damage, IL help buffing allies, Sentinel give some good tactical options etc.

I think at that point (20 main stat, PAM) there is no bad choice here. Just different paths.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
With just the Aura and a maxed Charisma, you've a minimum Concentration check of 6. So we need a 18 Con to auto-succeed on a DC 10.
With the right racial stats and point buy, this is possible with the ASI you would of used for Warcaster or Res(Con).

Which is better is up for debate though.

Benny89

First Post
I wonder if 2nd level Hexblade for Agonizing Blast + other invocation is worth over lost of one ASI and one 5th level Paladin slot.

Opinions?

Also I wonder if our Spear/Staff + Shield Vengeance Hexadin would still out damage PAM + GWM Devotion Paladin with 20 CHA and Sacred Weapon activated for +5 to hit to counter -5 from GWM.

Btw. isn't there a point where proficiency bonus and weapon +3 would make GWM consistent on higher AC values (18-20)? If we take level 13, CHA/STR 20 and +3 weapon we have +13 to hit. With GWM that is +8 to hit. If average throw on d20 is 10.5 then isn't that AC 18 on avereage?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I wonder if 2nd level Hexblade for Agonizing Blast + other invocation is worth over lost of one ASI and one 5th level Paladin slot.

Opinions?

Also I wonder if our Spear/Staff + Shield Vengeance Hexadin would still out damage PAM + GWM Devotion Paladin with 20 CHA and Sacred Weapon activated for +5 to hit to counter -5 from GWM.

Any buff that increases accuracy makes GWM better than the alternative. That said buffs take actions unless you can prebuff and it’s not clear without further investigation what happens in cases where you can not prebuff.

As long as you have misty step and the ability to cast haste I think your mobility is fine and as long as you have good movement then I wouldn’t worry about a ranged attacks.

You are also asking about a very high level multiclass trade if you are looking at character level 19. Honestly by that time I dont think the benefits of either are enough to worry about. Add paladin for power. Add warlock for extra out of combat tricks imo.

Benny89

First Post

Btw. Nephlim - could you do that math comparsion between 13 level Spear + Shield PAM Variant Human vs 13 level Glaive GWM PAM Variant Human? I can't figure how this tools works.

Both 20 STR, VoE on, both with +1 weapon and both with Haste on + IDS and Smites.

I'd appreciate it.

FrogReaver

Btw. Nephlim - could you do that math comparsion between 13 level Spear + Shield PAM Variant Human vs 13 level Glaive GWM PAM Variant Human? I can't figure how this tools works.

Both 20 STR, VoE on, both with +1 weapon and both with Haste on + IDS and Smites.

I'd appreciate it.

Do you want criticals factored in?
How do you want smites to be used?
What is your estimate for how often you get the reaction attack from polearm master?

Last edited:

Benny89

First Post
What is your estimate for how often you get the reaction attack from polearm master?

No reaction for both, it's fair, both are PAM. 13 level so we use 1 x 4th Level slot on first strike that hit, level 3 slots after that and then 2 level slots. Let's do 2 full rounds comparsion.

First turn: Attack, attack, Attack, bonus attack = Smite 1 x 4th Level, then 2x Smites 3rd level (because we used Haste) and then one smite 2nd Level.
Second turn: attack, attack, attack, bonus attack = 3 smites 2nd level and one Smite 1st level.

AC range on Enemies: from 15 to 19.

And let's see how it goes for both.

Unless we want to just crit-fish. In real gameplay scenario I think if one go Full Smite mode, he just goes all smites he can. But that should not matter much here, I just want comparsion in DPR/Nova. We can do after that second round with only using Smites only when crit happens, though that should not change that % comparsion between two.

FrogReaver

With only 20 str, VOE, +1 weapon, haste, ids, (no smites, no reaction attacks and no criticals).

The best estimate I can give is that PM + GWM does about 80 damage to PM 60. If AC increases then the difference can drop to something around 60 vs 50 and if it decreases the difference can go to 90 vs 60.

As I said, GWM does much better when you have accuracy boosts.

Benny89

First Post
I made a very long post but clicked reply to thread and it deleted it :(

:( sorry for your loss

With only 20 str, VOE, +1 weapon, haste, ids, (no smites, no reaction attacks and no criticals).

The best estimate I can give is that PM + GWM does about 80 damage to PM 60. If AC increases then the difference can drop to something around 60 vs 50 and if it decreases the difference can go to 90 vs 60.

As I said, GWM does much better when you have accuracy boosts.

What when we include smites and cirticals? And what 80 to 60 was on what AC range? 20 dmg is quite a difference.

Remove ads