• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Nephilm X

First Post
Okay, let's try again a bit from memory.

RE Haste:
If your party has a Sorcerer who knows that Death Is The Best CC, and that therefore Twinned Haste is often the best move when there are two competent martials in the party, then Vengeance Paladin's ability to cast it is merely a nice perk. OTOH if you not, then it jumps up an excellent ability.

There are a couple reasons for this. The first is because who casts Haste? By the time Paladin gets it, both Bards and Wizards have a number of very potent spells they can open combat with or use their Concentration on. Also, and this is very important, even if they want to be supportive and Haste the martial, I... *cringe* I really don't really trust anything less than a War Wizard with 16 CON and proficiency to cast Haste on me. Losing turns sucks - it's the worst status effect - and unless the DM is easy mode or our hypothetical support caster here is an exceptionally good player, the so-called "backline" is liable to take damage and roll those saves.

OTOH, while you can't control how other people build or play their characters, you can control yours. And sure, as a melee character that is also likely operating under the classic D&D Gentlemen's Agreement* you're liable to be put in harm's way, but regardless of your position on the battlefield, a Paladin with Resilient (CON) is a formidable chassis with high AC and high Saves. In practice, I've only found myself losing Concentration in situations where I'd be incapacitated anyway, so hey.

The second is that, well, Haste is really good.

It's not just the AC bump and additional damage (which btw pays itself back within 3 turns), or the advantage on DEX (which along with prof. in CON/WIS/CHA takes care of all the important saves) - those are really nice perks, but the important thing is that it dramatically alters the way a melee martial can interact with the battlefield, like no other spell can.

The mobility is obvious; 60 feet is a lot of movement, and you can conditionally bump that to 120, or opt to Disengage and just reposition without concerns, but it's that extra action that allows you to this that makes it so versatile. On a Rogue it allows them to Sneak Attack twice in the same round by Readying their normal action, and Paladins can't do that, but here we have PAM. The Haste Attack satisfies the condition, so you can use your BA Attack alongside it even on the same turn you activated Haste (in case you didn't VoE). You can also fight defensively - attack twice, then use your normal action to Dodge and make your already high AC unassailable. Or you can shove the enemy, then attack thrice with advantage and share it with all your other melee friends too! The Haste Attack also satisfies the Shield Master condition, so you could go Haste Attack > Shove > Attack Twice, which I think should be on the guide.

And naturally, an additional attack is an additional proc of IDS and chance to smite and crit, which just plays nicely with the Paladin's kit.

Then come the Oath of Vengeance specific synergies. PAM+Relentless Avenger, enemy bumps into you and you move 30 feet away, good luck catching you, or hey now your allies are within the Aura of Protection. Add Sentinel - enemy is immobilized. Or double up Haste on your Steed: now your horse has +2 AC and is Dodging 100% of the time, and moves 120ft or 240ft depending on whether it wants to Disengage or Dash. It's like you've gained the ability to teleport across the battlefield at no cost. Now imagine it on a Pegasus.

Much like PAM, Haste is both exceptionally good and fun. It's hard to beat that.

*I, a D&D DM, hereby agree to have my monsters disproportionately target melee characters, so that they may feel like they're performing the role of "tanks" by protecting the "squishies", even though the mechanics hardly support this gameplay and they might've built their characters in such a way that they are clearly the lesser threats.

Btw. Nephlim - could you do that math comparsion between 13 level Spear + Shield PAM Variant Human vs 13 level Glaive GWM PAM Variant Human? I can't figure how this tools works.

Both 20 STR, VoE on, both with +1 weapon and both with Haste on + IDS and Smites.

I'd appreciate it.

Sure.

Glaive: 291.12 (313.05 if GWF is taken and it affects extra damage dice)
Spear: 235.23

If that's what you were wondering, yep, late in the progression, once you've taken PAM and maxed out your combat stat, GWM is the only way to go, and with a very nice 15~25% damage bump to show for it.

GWM + PAM is good. On most Fighters and Barbarians it's the optimal melee combo, so you start with PAM and then grab GWM at 8 or 12, potentially even earlier depending on your numbers. For Paladins the situation is a little different, mainly because you have a very good on-demand damage adder and an automatic one at 11, which reduces the comparative advantage of taking GWM vs just bumping up your base accuracy. Additionally, Fighters and Barbarians and Rangers have no other roles worth investing in beyond more damage, whereas Paladins have the very powerful option of taking more Charisma.

What this means is that the difference between the 1h PAM and 2h PAM pathway on Paladins boils down to whether you ~eventually~ want to deal the most damage possible, or if you're content with - again, eventually - pausing your damage progression shy of that in return for the benefits of more Charisma and equipping a shield throughout your career.

Last edited:

Benny89

First Post
Sure.

Glaive: 264.85 (313.05 if GWF is taken and it affects extra damage dice)
Spear: 235.23

If that's what you were wondering, yep, late in the progression, once you've taken PAM and maxed out your combat stat, GWM is the only way to go, and with a very nice 15~25% damage bump to show for it.

GWM + PAM is good. On most Fighters and Barbarians it's the optimal melee combo, so you start with PAM and then grab GWM at 8 or 12, potentially even earlier depending on your numbers. For Paladins the situation is a little different, mainly because you have a very good on-demand damage adder and an automatic one at 11, which reduces the comparative advantage of taking GWM vs just bumping up your base accuracy. Additionally, Fighters and Barbarians and Rangers have no other roles worth investing in beyond more damage, whereas Paladins have the very powerful option of taking more Charisma.

What this means is that the difference between the 1h PAM and 2h PAM pathway on Paladins boils down to whether you ~eventually~ want to deal the most damage possible, or if you're content with - again, eventually - pausing your damage progression shy of that in return for the benefits of more Charisma and equipping a shield throughout your career.

Thanks. Did you include Duelist on Spear and PAM? I forgot to mention that. And Crits?

So it seems in terms of only raw Nova power GWM + PAM would beat non-GWN on Variant Human. However maxing out STR to 20 comes at price.

The fastest we can do that is: 1- PAM, 4- GWM, 8- +STR and 12: +2 STR. But then we lose RES (CON). Either way the build will bloom at level 16 fully. Sure if we can find Giant belt before that- no problem but then we wasted one ASI on STR vs CHA.

On the other hand 1h Spear + Shield PAM Hexadin will flush out as early as level 13: PAM, +2 CHA, War Caster, +2 CHA. And it has balance of Nova, DPR and defense. And any STR item will only boost him. Then we could still take GWM on level 17.

Aghhh.... can't decide which one is better.... The idea of GWM damage spikes is great but aslo is having that max saves, Booming Blade, more AC, advantage on Conc saves, max spells DC etc so early...

Last edited:

Nephilm X

First Post
Thanks. Did you include Duelist on Spear and PAM? I forgot to mention that. And Crits?

So it seems in terms of only raw Nova power GWM + PAM would beat non-GWN on Variant Human. However maxing out STR to 20 comes at price.

The fastest we can do that is: 1- PAM, 4- GWM, 8- +STR and 12: +2 STR. But then we lose RES (CON). Either way the build will bloom at level 16 fully. Sure if we can find Giant belt before that- no problem but then we wasted one ASI on STR vs CHA.

On the other hand 1h Spear + Shield PAM Hexadin will flush out as early as level 13: PAM, +2 CHA, War Caster, +2 CHA. And it has balance of Nova, DPR and defense. And any STR item will only boost him. Then we could still take GWM on level 17.

Aghhh.... can't decide which one is better.... The idea of GWM damage spikes is great but aslo is having that max saves, Booming Blade, more AC etc.

Yeah, Dueling on the Spear+PAM. Treated crits with an extra 6d8 (2nd slot smite), though it's not really relevant for looking at the flat difference since both combinations have the same number of attacks and rolls.

Also, I haven't been calculating it, but for full disclosure it's worth pointing out that if the standard or haste attacks crit, then on that turn the Bonus Action PAM attack on a Glaive would be a 1d10 instead of 1d4. So, 26.4% chance the BA attack will be 5.5 average instead of 2.5 average. Not worth going through the hassle of mathing it in, I feel.

Anyhow, glad I've made you see that Hexadin isn't just some meme build, but a very legit approach with the numbers to back it :p

Benny89

First Post
Yeah, Dueling on the Spear+PAM. Treated crits with an extra 6d8 (2nd slot smite), though it's not really relevant for looking at the flat difference since both combinations have the same number of attacks and rolls.

Also, I haven't been calculating it, but for full disclosure it's worth pointing out that if the standard or haste attacks crit, then on that turn the Bonus Action PAM attack on a Glaive would be a 1d10 instead of 1d4. So, 26.4% chance the BA attack will be 5.5 average instead of 2.5 average. Not worth going through the hassle of mathing it in, I feel.

Anyhow, glad I've made you see that Hexadin isn't just some meme build, but a very legit approach with the numbers to back it :p

Yeah, I see appeal. If we go with GWF as it should be (no rerolls on smite) I feel like gap between both is not worth GWM I think. You agree?

On targets of AC 18-23 the gap between two seems not enough to give up all other benefits and dmg loss is no that big. And Hexadin can still take GWM on 17 level if needed. He just needs that Giant Belt.

Now I also understand why they clarified that GWF does not apply to smites- it's broken. It boosted your final value by 40 dmg... crazy...

Nephilm X

First Post
Oh, oops. With the whole deal with the deletion I forgot I had done a different calculation, so I posted the wrong numbers for Glaive in my redone post. That's why I said in the analysis 15~25 yet the numbers show 12% :p It's fixed now.

GWM damage is a very legit way to go after you've maxed your combat stat, I'm not gonna say no to that. Nerfed GWF though, no, on a Glaive I'd take Defense FS.

As for which build is better, they have advantages at different stages of the game. STR QS+Shield works from the get go, Hexadin takes until around 7 to kick in and delays progression (and Paladin progression is really good all the way to 13), and a Glaive wielder doesn't have much to show for their style until after they both cap their combat stat in and take GWM. Access to magic items changes the effectiveness calculus, too.

Also, the stated reason it doesn't apply to smites wasn't because of power, but because of it being time consuming to reroll all the dice, hah!

Benny89

First Post
Oh, oops. With the whole deal with the deletion I forgot I had done a different calculation, so I posted the wrong numbers for Glaive in my redone post. That's why I said in the analysis 15~25 yet the numbers show 12% :p It's fixed now.

GWM damage is a very legit way to go after you've maxed your combat stat, I'm not gonna say no to that. Nerfed GWF though, no, on a Glaive I'd take Defense FS.

As for which build is better, they have advantages at different stages of the game. STR QS+Shield works from the get go, Hexadin takes until around 7 to kick in and delays progression (and Paladin progression is really good all the way to 13), and a Glaive wielder doesn't have much to show for their style until after they both cap their combat stat in and take GWM. Access to magic items changes the effectiveness calculus, too.

Also, the stated reason it doesn't apply to smites wasn't because of power, but because of it being time consuming to reroll all the dice, hah!

Well, dam. Now that I see your corrected numbers: Glaive: 291.12 (from 265..) to Spear: 235.23 is actually a big difference in damage.... It's well over 50 damage difference in two turns. That is huge...

So the better magic items later in game- +2 and +3 = the more Glaive GWM will pull ahead as AC range increases?

Two more tests:

1. How would that look vs AC 20 only? (everything same as in previous test)

2. And second one: how would it look on 18 STR Glaive vs 20 STR Spear?

Nephilm X

First Post
Just vs AC 19:

STR20 Glaive: 256.58
STR18 Glaive: 228.51
STR20 Spear: 223.95

I've been assuming 4 rounds of combat: first is Haste+VoE so only 1 attack, then 3+1 attacks for the next 3 turns. My apologies if you wanted the expected damage for a single given turn.

Benny89

First Post
Just vs AC 19:

STR20 Glaive: 256.58
STR18 Glaive: 228.51
STR20 Spear: 223.95

I've been assuming 4 rounds of combat: first is Haste+VoE so only 1 attack, then 3+1 attacks for the next 3 turns. My apologies if you wanted the expected damage for a single given turn.

Ok so It seems that until you get 20 stat = Spear seems like better option. Definitely GWM is not worth on STR 16-18. It gets a lot of value on 20 stat, though weapon +1 helped a lot here. To rush 20 stat we would have to give up Res CON of War Caster which would make things like Haste hard to maintain.

Therefore I think It more optimized to go Spear or Staff till Level 13 to get Full package and go GWM at 16-17 Level where It will work fully.

But if you can find a Giant Belt before 13 - It might be worth to give up last +2 CHA for GWM.

Anyway I still think that before 12-13 lvl best Course of Action is: PAM, +2 CHA and Then War Caster or RES CON. And at Level 13 you can fully commit to Hexadin and go CHA 20 or if you find Giant Belt - go GWM.

If you use correct rules and dont allow smite rerolls: I would go Defense or Dueling style even if you use GWM later.

Because Mathematicaly It seems that GWM is not worth grabbing at Early levels for Vengeance Paladin.

I would only go early GWM on Variant Human Devotion Paladin: +2 CHA, +2CHA, GWM on 8th Level for +5 to hit on GWM attacks

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We didn’t look at raw nova. The calculations get a lot more complicated there. I’ll do some samples later when I’m at home.

An example: The character with higher hit chances will hit on more attacks in a given time frame. If all you want is nova damage that means he is smiting more often.

Benny89

First Post
We didn’t look at raw nova. The calculations get a lot more complicated there. I’ll do some samples later when I’m at home.

An example: The character with higher hit chances will hit on more attacks in a given time frame. If all you want is nova damage that means he is smiting more often.

That is correct. If we assume "full smite mode" where we apply Smite to every single attack: A miss from GWM hurts more as more damage is lost. If we can hit much more while constantly applying smites (especially 5k8 smites) we get most out of smites.

Actually someone else told me that problem with GWM on Vengeance Paladin is actually not damage gained but damage loss per miss at higher levels.

Aaahhh... I love such mechanical digging in RPGs :D

Last edited:

Remove ads