D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Nephilm X

First Post
No, I'd much rather have the ability to no-sell damage DEX spells and abilities like fireballs and breath attacks, than an extra 8~16 HP between short rests.

No, I'd much rather have the ability to no-sell damage DEX spells and abilities like fireballs and breath attacks, than an extra 8~16 HP between short rests.

1) Unless you're fighting a bunch of mages and dragons every day, I don't see how that's universally more beneficial.
2) It's 8~16 HP to everybody in the party, not just you.
3) Your DEX save, even with Aura of Protection, scales poorly. Your DEX is probably 10, and you're not taking Resilient for DEX, which would be a waste, so your DEX save at most will be +5. Most likely it'll be lower, because you're probably not going to have 20 CHA until high teen levels. Against DCs like 17 from the breath of a Young Red Dragon (CR 10), you're not going to be making that save too often in the first place. And the Shield Master DEX save bonus only applies when you're the only one targeted, so that won't help you, either.

EDIT: I'll use said Young Red Dragon's breath (56 damage, DC 17 save), vs. hypothetical Paladin with 16 CHA, 10 DEX (+3 DEX save):

w/ Shield Master = .65*56 = 36.4
w/o Shield Master = Above, + .35*28 = +9.8 difference

That 9.8 difference is less than a Lv. 7 Paladin with 16 CHA gets, just to himself, from Inspiring Leader.

Last edited:

Nephilm X

First Post
1) Because mages and dragons and ray shooters and nasty DEX traps are precisely the kind of scary challenges you want to be tough against, as they're the ones that push your limits.
2) And everyone who is expecting to take damage should be building their own defenses beyond a little bit of HP that goes away between fights.
3) Haste gives advantage on DEX saves. Also, if I was doing a SM build I'd actually go for 14 DEX and nab gloves and belts.

Benny89

First Post
So my goal is to look at the non-prebuffed damage potential of 2 different paladin builds at level 13 after 2 rounds of combat. All damage will be weighted with accuracy. Criticals are being ignored. Smites will be applied. Haste and VOE will be cast the first turn.

One build has PAM and GWM with a glaive/halberd and GWF that only affects weapon damage. The other has PAM only and a spear with duelist. Both have a +1 weapon

vs_AC

PAM_Only

GWM+PAM

Summary: After factoring in smites PAM only wins nova damage over 2 rounds vs AC 19,20. PAM+GWM wins vs AC less than 18. At 15 AC PAM only does about 20 damage less than GWM on the 2 round nova including buffs which is about 11% lower.

Nice. This is what I was looking for. Around AC 17 the all pros of Spear hexadin build wins over raw dmg of GWM build. And usually the biggest bad guys (smite mode target) have good or very good AC. At around 17 AC the difference in Nova starts to be minimal and gap is shrinking from there.

This also confirms what I was thinking. That its more optimal to go Spear Shield before level 12/13 and take GWM At either 12/13 lvl ASI or even at 16/17. Before that it seems that its just not as benficial (though still valid and great build) due to low accuracy on lower levels.

I think I will stick to Spear n Shield Hexadin till 13 level and then see if GWM will be worth for me.

Again not saying PAM GWM is bad in any way but on my case where I am solo melee front line who needs most optimized option I think Hexadin wins. Not much dmg loss and a lot of other gains.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well the good news is that it's changes subtly from the tweet to the compendium (which now means it's official).
Now you have to take the Attack action first, but there's no mention of having to finish it.

Remove ads