GURPS PDF Challenge 2021

dbm

Savage!
Last year SJ Games tried a new type of Kickstarter that they found very successful: the base backer level of $3 gets you a PDF supplement then, as the total funding increase, you get more PDFs for that $3 pledge. The full target for the campaign was a dozen short supplements.

They’ve got a new edition of this running for 2021:

It’s quite a short Kickstarter, running just for twelve days with seven to go at the moment.

It’s doing well, and currently $3 will get you seven PDF supplements, with an eighth stretch goal close. There are a few other backer tiers available if you want to pick up the PDFs from last year’s challenge or other GURPS supplements too.

The unlocked PDFs cover modern action games, historic games, Egyptian themed alternative timelines, dungeon fantasy encounters and lost planets…

If you are GURPS-curious or just fancy reading some ideas around pirates, Venetian espionage, or steampunk Egypt then $3 is a bit of a steal... As a long term GURPS player / GM I can certainly recommend the quality of GURPS supplements in general and since the biggest stumbling block can be worked examples of how to use the toolkit these diverse supplements can really help illuminate what GURPS can be used for.

dbm

Savage!
Another stretch goal hit:

4ffb445e90b64792e9f4e0345257414f_original.jpg

And a new one revealed:

bcd9afb53bba7d418deed6bf7d1ba6ce_original.png

Last edited:

dbm

Savage!
If anyone was previously thinking about picking up the Dungeon Fantasy box set but missed it last time, there is a pledge level which includes the box and Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 in print format. The box has lots of really high quality stuff in it and you could run a long term game just from the contents, including standees and some maps for the included module.

dbm

Savage!
Dungeon Fantasy 22 is very close to being unlocked at the moment, and the last stretch goal has been teased as:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists. This supplement explores giving delvers lands and titles, presenting evil as going beyond dangerous to horrific, and challenging heroes with higher-tech risks and rewards. Yet it aims not to complicate the game in the process, suggesting streamlined treatments that deliver the essentials without all the rules.

If anyone was previously thinking about picking up the Dungeon Fantasy box set but missed it last time, there is a pledge level which includes the box and Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 in print format. The box has lots of really high quality stuff in it and you could run a long term game just from the contents, including standees and some maps for the included module.
The DFRPG boxed set is one of the best items ever produced by SJG. I just ran a week-long RPG summer camp using the boxed set. It was fantastic.

I was going to ask which supplement sounds most interesting to folks here, but I can't even settle on one of them myself. I keep changing my mind. So I'll just mention a few things that have me very excited about this set:
  • Two-Page Dungeons — I love reading adventures, but Steve Jackson Games doesn't publish many. Gaming Ballistic has helped to remedy this, but I'm looking forward to getting five adventures in one book. Plus, I'm hoping that some of them will be useful for the next iteration of my DFRPG camp next summer.
  • Gates — Although I've certainly used gates in various games before, I've never really thought too hard about them. They were typically the "shut the portal before the horrible thing comes through" sort. I'm looking forward to reading a more complete treatment.
  • Spies of Venice — I love reading historical supplements for ideas to pillage, and Riggsby never disappoints on this front. Renaissance skullduggery is especially enticing. Can't wait to read this one.
  • The Green Madonna — This has the best blurb of the bunch. A flaming dwarf? I like that it can "be run as an extended encounter, a short adventure, or even the introduction to a whole campaign." This gives me a lot of flexibility for how I might use it in an upcoming game.
How about you? Which of these tickle your gaming fancy?

dbm

Savage!
The Dungeon Fantasy items are a slam-dunk for utility to me as we really like that ‘traditional fantasy gaming’ feel. GURPS does it so well, especially in terms of really tactical comabt.

Perhaps oddly the one that is most interesting off the bat is Templar’s Gold. We‘ve been playing a few short campaigns during lock down (between our traditional long term fantasy games) and have played some really different things. It’s been some cool gaming despite everything. A modern, treasure hunting game is not something I would think to run long term, but sounds great for a mini-campaign. And GURPS does really well with modern era stuff, especially in 4e. 3e had a few clunky rules for guns (especially shotguns); 4e has smoothed all that out and made it much easier to run.

Remove ads