GURPS WWII - Darkest Hour (Started but still Recruiting. No really)

GWolf

First Post
Sounds like this is going to be a great game. Everyones out for flavor, and not super effectiveness. I love it :)

Douane

First Post
Marian Boleslaw Gladych

ST: 11 IQ: 14 Move: 7
DX: 13 HT: 11

Total Points: 125

ADVANTAGES
Absolute Direction (5 points)
Appearance - Attractive (5 points)
Deep Sleeper (5 points)
Fashion Sense (5 points)
Language Talent+1 (2 points)
Rapid Healing (5 points)
Temperature Tolerance+2 (2 points)

DISADVANTAGES
Enemy / Single 50-points individual, (roll of 6 or less) (-2 points)
Intolerance (Russians) (-5 points) [Sorry, Macbeth!:)]
Lecherousness (-15 points)
Sense of Duty: Poland (-10 points)
Social Stigma: Second-class soldier (-5 points)
Sterile (-3 points)

SKILLS
Acting-13 (1 point); Administration-12 (0,5 point); Area Knowledge (Finland)-13 (0,5 point); Area Knowledge (Germany)-14 (1 point); Area Knowledge (Poland)-14 (1 point); Axe/Mace-11 (0,5 point); Brawling-12 (0,5 point); Camouflage-14 (1 point); Carousing-9 (0,5 point); Climbing-11 (0,5 point); Dancing-11 (0,5 point); Detect Lies-11 (0,5 point); Disguise-13 (1 point); Driving/TL 6 (Automobile)-11 (0,5 point); Escape-10 (0,5 point); Fast-Draw (Knife)-13 (1 point); Fast-Draw (Magazine)-12 (0,5 point); Fast-Draw (Pistol)-13 (1 point); Fast-Talk-13 (1 point); First Aid/TL 6-13 (0,5 point); Forward Observer/TL 6-12 (0,5 point); Guns/TL 6 (Pistol)-15 (1 point); Guns/TL 6 (Rifle)-14 (0,5 point); Hiking-10 (1 point); Intelligence Analysis/TL 6-12 (1 point); Interrogation-12 (0,5 point); Intimidation-13 (1 point); Jumping-12 (0,5 point); Knife-14 (2 points); Language: English-14 (0,5 point); Language: Finnish-13 (0,5 point); Language: German-15 (1 point); Language: Norwegian-14 (0,5 point); Language: Polish-16 (0 point); Language: Russian-15 (1 point); Language: Swedish-14 (0,5 point); Leadership-13 (1 point); Lifting-10 (0,5 point); Linguistics-11 (0,5 point); Lip Reading-12 (0,5 point); Merchant-12 (0,5 point); Motorcycle-12 (0,5 point); Navigation/TL 6-15 (1 point); Riding (Horse)-11 (0,5 point); Running-8 (0,5 point); Savoir-Faire-15 (2 points); Sex Appeal-10 (1 point); Skiing-11 (1 point); Spear-11 (0,5 point); Speed-Load (Pistol)-13 (1 point); Stealth-13 (2 points); Streetwise-12 (0,5 point); Survival (Woodlands)-14 (2 points); Swimming-12 (0,5 point); Tactics-11 (0,5 point); Teaching-12 (0,5 point); Telegraphy-13 (0,5 point); Throwing-12 (2 points); Tracking-12 (0,5 point)

QUIRKS
Dislikes smoking
Doesn't Smile Much
Sensitive about his name
Silent In Combat
Vocally Opinionated

SUMMARY
Attributes: 95
Advantages: 29
Disadvantages: -40
Quirks: -5
Skills: 46

ROUGH DRAFT! (No military "stuff" (Adv./Disadv.) added in yet.)

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Macbeth,

concerning the Russian:

I'm not exactly a Gurps expert (it's been some years since my last game), but I think Wilphe was referring to the Gurps rule that your native language at IQ+5 costs only 5 points, not 12. So even if you retained the 18, you still would have 7 points to spare. (Gurps Basic rules, p.54)

Folkert

Macbeth

First Post
Thanks Douane. I must have missed that. I have rarely delt with languages in GURPS before, always just having a boring single language at deafult. Thanks for correcting me. I'm going to edit my above post to reflect the changes:

-Language (russian) costs 5, not 12.
-Survival (arctic) at IQ+1 (4 points)
-Speed Load and Fast Draw at DX (1 point each)
-Bard (to express political views) at IQ-1 (1 point)

Wilphe

Adventurer
GWolf:

Ok, I do like that background. Where I have the problems is:

1) I'm quite happy for him to have the Katana skill, I have problems with him carrying one everywhere and it being his weapon of choice in every possible situation.

2) Its now a year into the war, he's of the right age in be conscripted and he has only a few points of military skills.

3) 1930's Japan is not a great place for foreigners, but as they were living in an isolated fishing village that's not a problem.

4) Arguably the Samurai ethic is incompatible with stealth.

Suggestion, make him a more broadly focused martial arts and close combat guy. Maybe take a full MA or two style (eg: Jujitsu and Kenjutsu together or possibly Judo or Karate. Knife might be useful also.
Then state that he's spent the last year training others, especially agents in those sort of close fighting techniques and is now going on ops.

That gives him a good reason to be there and a degree of flexibility.

This is then quite close to the backgrounds of people like:
William Fairbairn and Eric Sykes who were the RL trainers for Commandos & SOE, and in game terms aguably invented Military Hand-to-hand (certainly the British version)

Douane:

Looks good so far , I'll get back to you when I get back from work.

Macbeth:

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

GWolf

First Post
Ok, well make some changes tonight :( You're not a katana happy person are?

Anyway. I'm going on Vacation from the 9th- to the 17th, so if you start before I get back give me a way to work myself in.

Wilphe

Adventurer
Not that I am a complete b******, it's just the sort of thing that could get him and everybody else killed. If I was playing his CO or trainers even remotely realistically they would tell him that...

Abscence noted, there will be a, IC briefing first - possibly a couple, so we shouldn't have finished the first by the time you get back.

Douane / Macbeth / Melkor:

I missed this bit:
You each should probably take a -20 point Extremely Hazardous duty, I'm not assessing that against the -40 point limit, so you can either spend more points or swap out other disadvantages.
Should have mentioned that earlier for consistencies sake, sorry.

Douane: (As requested)

1) Not sure why you gave him Social Stigma, as he shouldn't suffer from that in England.

2) From the background you gave me, I take it he was an officer? Feel free to buy rank in that case, rank 4 (Captain) is about as high as he would in British service at this point. If he was higher in Polish service, then courtesy rank at 1 pt /level up to 6 (Colonel) is possible)

2a) Rank 4 normally mandates Comfortable wealth. However, if all his wealth is in Poland he can't get at it...

3) GURPS WW2 splits up Tactics and Strategy into 4.
Soldier M/A - Enlisted men.
Tactics M/H - Squads->Companies. Must specilize, Infantry is the most appropriate in game terms.
Operations M/H - Battalions->Corps. Specialized by medium (eg: Air, Sea, Land)
Strategy M/H - Armies & Fleets. Not specialized.

Tactics he already has, though you need to chose a specializtion. He might have Operations if he was a staff officer, but it is unlikely to be used in game.

4) He might want Savoir-Faire (Military).

Douane

First Post
@ Wilphe:

Thanks for the info!

Don't worry about the duty, I would have asked about what I called military stuff (ie. Rank, Duty, etc.) later in any case.
In my case, I guess it will pay for the rank.

1) Shouldn't he or doesn't he? ;) (I have taken this from a number of accounts by polish vets who stated that they had been treated as some kind of second-rate soldiers; most prominent among them Maj. General Stanislaw Sosabowski, commanding officer of the 1st Polish Independent Para Brigade. ) [If you don't like it, I'll throw it out in a heartbeat.]

2) I think Rank 3 will be fine. (He has literally left only those belongings he carries on his person.) Besides, a guy who constantly "badmouths" his superiors (and allmost everyone else) has got to be stopped somewhere. :D

3) Thanks! Added a second Tactics skill and an operations one.

4) See 2). ;) Seriously, he should be able to behave if absolutely necessary. Skill added.

NEW! 5) Would he be able to take the Hit Location (Knife) skill somehow? I think this would perfectly simulate the fighting style he learned in Finland.

Still working a bit on the details, but he should be finished tomorrow.

Folkert

Wilphe

Adventurer
1) You can take Odious Personal Habit: "Gene Hackman's atrocious Polish accent in A Bridge too Far" for the same point value...

I'm not sure, given that I am English I'd probably deny it, but if that was some people's genuine experience then I could not fairly deny it. My gut, unemotional feeling would be no, which would appear to be borne out by the WW2 corebook, but its not specific. This would be because, a) He looks British (ie: white) and b) The British have never really dealt with Poles pre-WW2 and hence have no history with them (good or bad).

The benchmark in Lite WW2 for -5 social stigma is:

"Woman, or non-Ayran Western European in the Third Reich"

If you think he'd get that bad a reaction, then go for it. Also if he sounds German when he speaks English or comes across as one, then that could easily justify a -1 among people who don't know better.

2, 3, 4, 5) No problems there.

Remove ads