Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

good point but I didn't mean to speak legally. For me it wouldn't be a legal question, that would be the least of it. Maybe I should have typed 'Blessing' instead of 'Permission'.
Actually I missed the scummy part. Apparently he is actually claiming a trademark for the name Gygax which I don't think is legal nor is even on the PTO website as being registered.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually I missed the scummy part. Apparently he is actually claiming a trademark for the name Gygax which I don't think is legal nor is even on the PTO website as being registered.

Well, for "Gygax Magazine", not "Gygax". And it's a TM nor an (r), so it isn't a registered trademark.

dreadgazebo

First Post
I've had myself and several of my followers tweet him, zero response so far.

Honestly thought, the Gygax foundation is pretty public and enthusiastic about all of its ongoign projects and plans. To me this seems like a guy who's trying to capitalize on the name, and taking the opportunity of the news of KQ closing its press doors as further fuel for his business plans. Not saying it's malicious, but it does seem a bit dirty to me personally.

If he has/had the good graces of the Gygax family, where are they on this and why haven't we heard about it yet? My two cents.

bonchon

Explorer
Hi, it's Jayson

Hi guys, this is Jayson. I'm the editor for Gygax Magazine.

Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler. Our first issue is out in December; since it's not finished yet, we've been pretty quiet about things until it's ready.

Just to address some of the questions, I thought it was best that I leave a reply. We do own the trademark for TSR, and have since December of 2011. We are a new company, not the old TSR, as they were purchased by Wizards in the '90s. The trademark was abandoned about nine years ago, and we registered it in 2011.

We decided the best thing to release first as TSR was a gaming magazine, because we wanted a way to bridge the traditions of the old guard with the awesome new games that are out today.

Feel free to ask me anything you like, I'll do my best to answer!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler!

And with that sentence, the whole thing turns into AWESOMENESS!

I'm delighted to hear the Gygax family is involved. Good luck with the magazine!

TheAngryDM

First Post
I have just finished speaking to Mr. Elliot via e-mail, raising the various concerns that have been brought up about the project. He provided me with a bit of information that he said I could reveal.

The use of the TSR name is legitimate. However, it is a new company, not a continuation of the old company.

Ernie and Luke Gygax are partners in the project, hence their use of the name Gygax Magazine. They also have a number of other folks from the TSR era, including [FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Tim Kask, James M. Ward, Len Lakofka, and Phil Foglio.

All in all, this looks very exciting and it will be hard to wait until next December.

(EDIT: Damn, his response beat mine by two minutes. I wanted to look cool. ;-) )

[/FONT]

bonchon

Explorer
To me this seems like a guy who's trying to capitalize on the name, and taking the opportunity of the news of KQ closing its press doors as further fuel for his business plans. Not saying it's malicious, but it does seem a bit dirty to me personally.

Just for the record, we've been working on the magazine for months now, and I happen to be a fan of KQ, and I'm incredibly bummed that they're stopping publication. It hurts the whole industry when a great magazine like Kobold Quarterly goes away, and I hope they'll be able to start up again someday. They're still making the rest of their products, and I think they're going to continue to grow and get better in the future.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases