half cost

kreynolds

First Post
Weeble said:
just following the rules

Dude? Everyone else has moved past this. Can't you? Are you incapable of letting go?

I guess you missed the part where....oh the hell with it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I have a feeling I'm on someone's ignore list. :D

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Weeble said:

plus he spent the feats and paid out of pocket to make the items.

So, as a wizard you pay for the items that the other party members want you to make? Of course that is not true, the money comes from the whom ever wants it made. As for the feat, the bonus for having a feat of the craft nature is the ability to create specifically what you need. That is the bonus foir having the craft feats.

I'm still not convinced that this in in the rules. I'm one of those that if the rules don't say it happens this way, then it probably doesn't. But I'm not going to argue about it cause I know neither side will convince the others. We are using the same proof to defend our arguements.

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
Right the only way this makes sense is to meta game. Rules tlike that are not good, IMHO.

You're right. They're not. Any decent DM would handle the situation and resolve the problem delicately and intelligently so that the players never even notice.

[soapbox] As a side note, and general statement that's not directed at anyone in particular, it's also pretty f'ing irritating to imply that someone couldn't figure out a way to maintain balance within' a party without being a jerkoff and saying something stupid like "You have too much gear. When you grab for the sword, it leaps away from you". Know what I'm sayin'? [/soapbox]

Crothian

First Post
kreynolds said:

[soapbox] As a side note, and general statement that's not directed at anyone in particular, it's also pretty f'ing irritating to imply that someone couldn't figure out a way to maintain balance within' a party without being a jerkoff and saying something stupid like "You have too much gear. When you grab for the sword, it leaps away from you". Know what I'm sayin'? [/soapbox]

Hey, how'd you hear about that? The guy was over the GP limit by 100gp so I had to do something in game so that he would be below the limit again. I did turn out well in the ends as the sword went on to be a major nemesis in the campaign. :D

I'm all for game balance and I know that any DM worth his pay can easily handle this situation without the PCs ever knowing he is doing this. It's just people are using this guideline as a hard fast rule and using a feat to craft items to get around the rule they have made hard fast. Besides, keeps the boards lively and all that. :cool:

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
I'm all for game balance and I know that any DM worth his pay can easily handle this situation without the PCs ever knowing he is doing this. It's just people are using this guideline as a hard fast rule and using a feat to craft items to get around the rule they have made hard fast. Besides, keeps the boards lively and all that. :cool:

The bottom line is this: Manage the party's wealth or don't. If your 10th level party is capable of destroying 10 Balor's, then there's probably something wrong, unless you just want them to be able to take out 10 Balors. If your 10th level party gets slaughtered by goblins left and right, then there's probably something wrong, unless you want them to get slaughtered by goblins left and right. If you don't have any problems, great.

I don't see the wealth limits as a hard and fast rule, like many people think I do. For instance, if you're half way to 10th level, I'll let you have the wealth of a 10th and a 1/2 level character, meaning I give you half the increase you would get for being 11th level, then the rest when you level. Sometimes, wealth isn't a big factor, such as with quest items, or a few meager potions here and there.

I generally run my games at a certain difficulty level, what I like to call the "default DC" of the game. This level of play only requires you to have so much gold. Sometimes, the difficulty of a quest increases dramatically and you are allowed more gear. If your gear doesn't make you more powerful than you should be, I don't have a problem with it. If it does make you more powerful than you should be, I have a problem with it, but only if you are overshadowing the rest of the party.

Wealth is a dynamic thing that can change over the course of a game. It just doesn't change very often in my games.

Remove ads