Half Elves Buff -- Good idea or no?

Mike Sullivan

First Post
So, humans are versatile...

But half elves are the jack of all trades.

What if half-elves were just as they presently are, but instead of "favored class: Any," they had, "Never takes XP penalty for multiclassing, no matter what combination of classes"?

Good idea? Overpowered? Still not enough for half elves? Or do you think that half elves don't need anything after the 3.5 skill bonuses?

Destil

Explorer
The no multiclass XP penelties dosn't jive well within the rules, I'd say (though I removed mutlciass XP restrictions entirely, IMC).

I'd rather see half elves with the 3E bonuses (spot, listen, low light vision), a +1 save bonus vs. enchantment and the human bonus to skill points.

CCamfield

First Post
A lesser possibility would be to let them pick whatever class they want, at any particular time, so that a 4/4/1 half-elf would not suffer any xp penalties (by choosing the third class as favored) whereas a human would.

Hackenslash

First Post
Nice Idea....I Like it alot !!!

Good Idea "Mike", that could solve my own problems with Half Elves in my campaign. But don't you think it might get a little silly having a character who really goes for it and creates a Half Elven 4th Level Fighter/1st Level Barbarian/1st level Ranger/6th Level Rogue/3rd Level Sorceror/Dragon Disciple ??? How would you monitor that situation ? Would you use roleplaying or set min. requirements for taking another class, such as training or such ? I think it would be a little cheesy to just let the player take whatever classes he/she wants, whenever they want, wiht no explanation why ? in or out of game time. Still a good idea though but I think I would have to "Police It" a little, so players don't get too carried away and min/max to the hilt with absolutely no background as too why. Just a few thoughts..... ;)

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Re: Nice Idea....I Like it alot !!!

Hackenslash said:
Good Idea "Mike", that could solve my own problems with Half Elves in my campaign.

Heh. You don't need to put my name in quotes.

But don't you think it might get a little silly having a character who really goes for it and creates a Half Elven 4th Level Fighter/1st Level Barbarian/1st level Ranger/6th Level Rogue/3rd Level Sorceror/Dragon Disciple ??? How would you monitor that situation ?

Unless someone can demonstrate a good reason why I should be concerned about that situation, I'd be inclined not to monitor it at all. It seems to me that such a character would tend to be less effective than a more focused one, and that alone should prevent players from going too far into the realm of "many, many classes."

That said, I could believe that there are balance issues with allowing someone to freely multiclass, say, four classes or so. That's why I posted here -- to see if anyone would say, "Oh, but I could abuse that ruling by doing this, this, and this."

Technik4

First Post
Favored Class: The half-elf has no favored class and never suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.

Thats how I would word it :) I don't think its too powerful (and in most games, wont amount to more than Favored Class: Any) and it has a certain flair about it. I like it, don't think its easily abused though its certainly possible.

For instance if you don't have restrictions on Paladins and Monks either (many games don't) then mixing those classes along with a couple levels of rogue, cleric, and ranger is "possibly" abusable, mostly because the saves will be through the roof.

Rog 2/Mnk2/Pal 2/Clr 1/Rgr 2 (3.5)

9th level Character
BAB: +6/+1

[same as any other 9th level char with "medium" BAB]

HP: 6 (first level rogue) + 1d6 + 5d8 + 2d10 + (Con x 9)

[Assuming the d6 and d10s roughly cancel each other out, you have the equivalent of 9d8. Same as 9th level Ranger, Cleric, Monk, etc.]

Saves: +10/+8/+8 (plus Divine Grace)

[Many points higher than an equivalent level monk, who should have the best all-around saves]

Class Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6, Evasion, Unarmed Strike (1d6), Stunning Attack, Flurry of Blows, Deflect Arrows, Detect evil at Will, Divine grace, Lay on Hands (Cha x 2), Divine health, Aura of Courage, Smite Evil 1/day (+Cha to hit/+2 damage), 2 Domain Abilities, Turn Undead (as a 2nd level cleric if you stack pal levels), Track, Favored Enemy +2, Combat Path Feat (Ranger), Animal Companion, Wild Empathy.

[Obviously a laundry list of special abilities. Between monk bonus feats, ranger combat paths, and cleric domains this character has 5 "bonus" feats, the same number as a 9th level fighter (although far less choice about what they are).]

Skill Points (first level as a Rogue): 64 + (Int x 12)

[This is slightly less than a 9th level Bard or Ranger (3.5), but more than anyone else besides a dedicated rogue. Granted, the class skills and determination of spending said points would be quite a pain.]

Spells: as a 1st level cleric

It would be good to keep in mind that this is more or less the most abusable level to look at this character. Hes done multiclassing into base classes, now hes looking towards prestige. He also has the "burden" of the paladin's code (and thus a strict LG alignment) and the monk's restriction on armor (which is balanced with the monk's Wis to AC bonus).

Of course, as I finish this I realize that said character is technically not breaking any existing multiclass rules...

Technik

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Technik4 said:
Of course, as I finish this I realize that said character is technically not breaking any existing multiclass rules...

:)

And you can do it with the normal Paladin/Monk multiclassing restrictions, too.

:) :)

I think you've found your next character, Technik.

Chasmodai

First Post
Originally quoted by Hackenslash

...Half Elven 4th Level Fighter/1st Level Barbarian/1st level Ranger/6th Level Rogue/3rd Level Sorceror/Dragon Disciple ???

Now, if you used the 3.0 version of the half-elf, you could actually make a character that broke no multiclassing rules whatsoever. Take the above example and make one change.

Half Elven Rogue 6/Fighter 4/Sorcerer 3/Barbarian 2/Ranger 1/ Dragon Disciple.

By choosing Rogue as his favored class, this character (even if it is extremely munched) breaks no rules whatsoever.

You must realize that you can do this with humans as well... to a much more effective end result.

Scary, no?

Remove ads