• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-orc Scout spearfighter needs feats

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Felix said:
the Longspear will give me reach, but the spear can act as my ranged weapon as well; I'd just have to keep on the DM for the returning enhancement.

Longspears are also ranged weapons I believe.

The great spear in Complete Warrior has a base damage of 2d6. It's an exotic weapon.

Felix

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Longspears are also ranged weapons I believe.
Nah. The balance goes:

Javelin, thrown, 1d6, 20/x2, range 30ft (-4 att in melee)
Shortspear, one-handed, 1d6, 20/x2, range 20ft
Spear, two-handed, 1d8, 20/x3, range 20ft, may be set against a charge
Longspear, two-handed, 1d8, 20/x3, 10' reach, may be set against a charge

And I always thought the Greatspear, Greatclub, Greatbow, etc was a bit silly.

Mistwell

Odd. I believe the greatspear has a range increment of 10'. You would think the shorter longspear would as well.

As for the Great Spear being silly...I believe it is a historically accurate military weapon in Europe, usually labeled as a pike, partisan, ox tongue spear or langdebeve. In fact, the Korean DongYeMoChang puts the D&D Great Spear to shame.

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
Mistwell said:
As for the Great Spear being silly...I believe it is a historically accurate military weapon in Europe, usually labeled as a pike, partisan, ox tongue spear or langdebeve. In fact, the Korean DongYeMoChang puts the D&D Great Spear to shame.
Fair enough.

But I just don't see a scout sneaking about with a 20' pole.

And weren't those fantastically long spears used in formation? Wouldn't they be too unwieldy for man-to-man combat?

Mistwell

Most reach weapons were used in formation. Not sure you can single out big spears for that critique. Nothing would stop one from using it man-to-man (except for the fact that you cannot attack with them right next to you, which is accounted for in D&D just fine), it's just that the common tactic was to use it in formation.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But I just don't see a scout sneaking about with a 20' pole.

Actually, that would be more like a pike or longspear.

A greatspear would be more like the African Assegai- not really any longer than a standard spear, but with a larger & heavier blade- and still quite throwable. Some Assegai I've seen were about 6' in length...but 3' of that was a blade not unlike a longsword.

For the rest of my response, you might want to check out DCv1- there are about 10 or so polearm-related feats. In addition to one similar to Short haft, there is another that adds +5 reach, one that lets you use it with FoB, and so forth.

That said, I, too like the selection of Combat Reflexes with a decent dex and, if possible, either Armor spikes or Imp. Unarmed Combat. You stab 'em comin AND goin'!

Wish

First Post
Power attack has a significant drawback for a 3/4 BAB class.

Combat Reflexes is nice with a longspear spring attacker because you can often trade 2 swings for 1.

Setting up for a big feat chain doesn't seem profitable, because you're already invested in a big chain. With dodge and mobility you qualify for Elusive Target, one of the most powerful defensive feats in the game. You'd have to be getting something very good at 9th level to pass it up.

Darklone

Hold the Line is a nice feat (CW IIRC) if your opponents like to charge you... which happens rather often if you use Spring Attack. You'd need Combat Reflexes though for all those AoOs, but if you want to do the
- he charges me, AoO from Hold the Line when he enters my threatened area
- he charges on, trip attack with AoO cause of movement
- Imp Trip bash on him
- your turn: Bash him and step backwards 20 ft to enjoy Imp Skirmish! Wait for his next charge after he gets up.

Be careful though, this is a tactic for a single frontliner or a mobile party. It's not good if your buddies want you to keep the enemies away from them.

Remove ads