• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-orc Scout spearfighter needs feats

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Felix said:
Negate Power Attack: It could happen, but if I'm toe-to-toe with a PA'ing melee brute, I have more to worry about than some extra damage.

Diverting Defense: I'm going to spend much of my time avoiding situations where I'm flanked.

Cause Overreach: I'd rather Tumble through threatened squares instead of maybe getting hit and maybe tripping. I think it's because of my low AC.

Elusive Target actually seems somewhat underwhelming to me. Why is that?

I agree. I was just helping out by reposting the feat. I had never actually considered it before, and I have a spring attacking rogue with a reach weapon. I can see it's uses, but they are so situational, and risky, that I am not sure it is worth it.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Improved Skirmish is balanced by context. Over the course of a character's career, there ought to be plenty of times where it's just not possible to move 20+ feet from your starting position and still attack.

If you can do that every fight, then yeah, this will be a strong feat. If you never pull it off, then this will be a weak feat.
-blarg

Darklone

blargney the second said:
Improved Skirmish is balanced by context. Over the course of a character's career, there ought to be plenty of times where it's just not possible to move 20+ feet from your starting position and still attack.

If you can do that every fight, then yeah, this will be a strong feat. If you never pull it off, then this will be a weak feat.
-blarg
Take the alternative climb speed scout class feature from PHB2 and you'll be wheezing around the walls and ceilings with no problem.

Aside from movement restricting spells, I've seen nothing keeping my players from using the Imp Skirmish feat.

Luckily their will save sucks.

DreadArchon

First Post
Darklone said:
Take the alternative climb speed scout class feature from PHB2 and you'll be wheezing around the walls and ceilings with no problem.
Fond though I am of alternate movement modes, I'd be hesitant to give up (1) Evasion and (2) the ability to run fast on a class that gets damage by running fast. Of course, if you expect to be able to get Boots of Striding and Springing, it's more appealing, but Spring Attack is nice for Scouts and increased movement speed is a good good thing for Spring Attack.

Aside from movement restricting spells, I've seen nothing keeping my players from using the Imp Skirmish feat.
With Spring Attack, you should usually be able to run 15+ feet towards them and then 15+ feet past them, making it easy to activate.

Also, make sure to pick up Bounding Assault at level 16!

(Oh, and Leap Attack + Shock Trooper might be advisable if you're going to be charging on occaison. Sure, it makes you easy to hit, but it's certainly nice on the damage with a two-hander, and it more or less solves the "low BAB" issue, too.)

Remove ads