D&D 5E (+) Halfling Appreciation and Development Thread

Li Shenron

Legend
I've always liked halflings - an inoffensive appearing, jovial fellow, but one with a surprising amount of grit. They're best when they're at their most hobbit-ish.

I ignore pretty much all of the 3e/4e lore on halflings because of the extent to which they were kenderized up. I don't mind kender for what they are - but I keep them distinct from halflings who are not kender.

They're always part of the general background, a bit rarer than humans and with a tendency to specialize in hospitality types of jobs.

Sure, I think they're mechanically powerful in most editions. I generally don't need to add anything.

Proficiency maybe, but I wouldn't give bonus damage.

No. Let them be separate.

2nd edition - by far. 3e kenderized them up, 4e warped them, but at least 5e ties back to 2e's description so I find it better than its two immediate predecessors.

The halfling Lucky trait should never be underestimated. Add in Bountiful Luck as a feat, and it rocks for the whole party.
Pretty much agree.

I like Halflings best as Hobbits which is the original intention.

I have never played Dragonlance but I am ok with Kenders, as a completely different demihuman race from Hobbits.

And I think 5e Halflings have strong features, Lucky being the biggest deal.

Oofta

Legend
Second place image goes to this version. As you can tell, I prefer halflings to appear tough in their own right, and not these giant headed jolly folk lol

View attachment 140921
The artwork in the 5E PHB for halflings is pretty awful. It's the most ... cartoonish ... of all the art in the PHB which is part of what makes it bad to me. While I don't need all halflings to look like little gymnasts, I also don't want them to have giant oversized heads and tiny feet.

I'd be okay with a mix such as
download.jpg
or
download (24).jpg
or
c1f0aafc98c864479b9bfd4a7506ae4a.jpg
or
brandon-chang-tumblr-oj93uvicgw1r47awro1-1280.jpg

I get that drawing halflings can be problematic, but it's not hard to find images fit a lot better IMHO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I actually like the 5E art. That's right. I can tell a Halflimg in 5E when I see one, no confusion because of scale, or with Gnomes.

I like the 5E writeup and how much it leaves open, and Mordenkainen's adds good stuff. Eberron has my favorite Setting specific take, and I appreciate that the 5E version walked back the 3.x ethnic coding a bit.

Oofta

Legend
I actually like the 5E art. That's right. I can tell a Halflimg in 5E when I see one, no confusion because of scale, or with Gnomes.

I like the 5E writeup and how much it leaves open, and Mordenkainen's adds good stuff. Eberron has my favorite Setting specific take, and I appreciate that the 5E version walked back the 3.x ethnic coding a bit.
It's all personal opinion and preference of course. But to me the following is more in keeping with the rest of the art style while still letting me know it's a halfling:
0900a9500aacf210c05654c3393d0c00.jpg

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's all personal opinion and preference of course. But to me the following is more in keeping with the rest of the art style while still letting me know it's a halfling:
View attachment 140930
My first thought on seeing that image is that it's a mis-shapen Elf, mostly because of the very Elf-like ears. I've always seen Hobbits (and-or Halflings) as far more resembling small round Humans than small round Elves.

And it's wearing boots. What self-respecting Hobbit wears boots, fer cryin' out loud? :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What do you like about them?
I like their optimism. A D&D race that sees the bright side of their situation and caresdeeply about friends and family is a nice thing for the game to have. It's a good hook for a PC. You follow your crazy ambitious adventuring buddy because he or she is your friend, you enjoy being around them, and you earnestly wish to keep them safe.

What lore do you use from the books, and what do you specifically ignore, if anything?
Not much. I use 4e's fondness of rivers and the halfings being close to dwarves in relations.

How have you used them in your worlds?

In my Six Kingdoms world, not so much. They just have good farmland and feed the world during famine.

In my Klassico setting, halflings are the go-between for dwarves. Dwarves mine the mountains, halfling trade food for dwarven metal, stone, and gems. Othe races trade withhalflings for metal and gems. Halflings don't inflate rices that much so they are good trade partners but they have limited stock,

The patron goddess of halflings is Hestia, Goddess of the Heath. In order to control all aspects of the hearth, Hestia births a son and had him marry the dwarven goddess of the plants.
Results:
  • The halfling pantheon has a female dwarf in it.
  • The union of the halfling god of protection and the "dwarven" goddess of plants causes the existence of stout/strongheart halflings.
  • Dwarven no longer have a nature goddess as they married theirs to the halflings.
  • Religious halflings are honorbound to feed hungry dwarves and must always trade with dwarves.
  • Halflings are overrall skilled with trading and running caravans. Humans allow them to make their own quarters and live on the borders to obtain their relatively cheap but mundane trade.
Do you consider them mechanically powerful, and if not have you done anything to add to them?
Not really. However my chances to the game system help them a lot so I didn't chance the race.

Should they get proficiency and better damage with slings?
No. But the halfling magic weapon is a magic sling that deals more damage.

Should Kender influence Halflings, insofar as giving halflings the ability to taunt?

No. But I think D&D should have a base taunt action.

What edition has the best Halfling writeup?
4e

Any of the above questions, or anything else you want to talk about halflings that is positive, and/or directly about developing them in ways you find interesting, are fair game for discussion, here.
Some halflings in my Klassico setting as straight up ninjas. In the "The Littlefoots aren't potato farmers, they are ninjas and will suddenly disappear then thrown 4d4 shurikens at you with sneak attack damage if you start trouble."

Faolyn

(she/her)
The patron goddess of halflings is Hestia, Goddess of the Heath. In order to control all aspects of the hearth, Hestia births a son and had him marry the dwarven goddess of the plants.
I know you had a typo there and meant hearth. But my mind automatically and immediately inserts the word "blasted" whenever I see the word "heath," and got some weirdly Greco-Lovecraftian images there.

Remove ads