D&D 5E Halfling's Unluck

jrowland

First Post
Halflings Luck lets you re-roll 1's.

I rolled 4 1's in a row the other night...So of course I failed. At some point, even a halfling's luck runs out!

Just wanted to share.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Hey, great coincidence: last session I ran, just the other night, I also rolled four 1s in a row. No halflings were involved though... just some poor young dragon having a really bad day.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
I could be completely wrong, but doesn't it say you have to use the new result? Anyway, that's how I ruled it when one of my players rolled two 1's in a row with his halfling. I also want to note that rolling four 1's in a row is a very impressive feat.

back in 4e there was a weapon property that allowed you to reroll 1's and 2's on d12's... I had a player rolling 3d12 roll 3 1's, reroll them and get some combo of 1's and 2's, reroll them and get 1 die to still need to be rerolled... at witch point another player said "Here use my d12" and it came up a 2 twice before we finally got a total number.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
They called me crazy when I would pick up a handful of dice and threw them, taking the highest few. Well they'll see, oh they'll see!
Don't worry, they also called me crazy when I conducted an experiment by switching all games at my table to dice exclusively made in ways that minimize their potential for bias for 3 years just because I wanted to prove to them that the reason it appeared I rolled more critical hits than everyone else combined was because I am the DM and am rolling more attacks than they are as players, even collectively, and not that I was using biased dice.

...though the end of that experiment resulted in me having to supply one player in particular with a dice cup and get him to use it instead of his hands because his statistics strongly suggested he was unconsciously sabotaging himself by manipulating the die results toward the low end, which would have made him an excellent cheat-roller if he had learned how to aim for 20s instead of 1s.

jrowland

First Post
I could be completely wrong, but doesn't it say you have to use the new result? Anyway, that's how I ruled it when one of my players rolled two 1's in a row with his halfling. I also want to note that rolling four 1's in a row is a very impressive feat.

Oh yeah, it was clear I critically failed at the second 1, but I forgot to mention I have the Lucky feat:

1 - :):):):)! Oh yeah, Halflings are Lucky, re-roll:
1 - Goddammit! Ok, I'll burn a use of Lucky Feat:
1 - Are you :):):):)ing kidding me? Burn another use:
1 - The dice gods hate me. Watch, I'll use my last Lucky point and it will be a 1:
8 - Ha Ha dice gods, very funny. Go :):):):) yourselves!

Oh man, if that was a single die, it deserves punishment! Halfling PCs normally love those 1’s!

Sometimes I think I should just get an electronic dice roller and make everyone use that.

Halflings Luck lets you re-roll 1's.

I rolled 4 1's in a row the other night...So of course I failed. At some point, even a halfling's luck runs out!

Just wanted to share.

Remove ads