D&D General No Humans? (Well, the players... but that's it.)

Would you play in an RPG without human PCs or NPCs?

• Yes

Votes: 73 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 12.0%

• Poll closed .

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
It never occured to me that there would be people that if their DM said "I'm gonna run a game of Mouse Guard" players would object because they couldn't be humans.

Are people thinking the question is "would you play in a DnD game with no humans?" Is that the question? I thought I read OP correctly.

ezo

I cast invisibility
And if you make your dominant race something other than near human, you can give up on using "medieval" or any other human style as your reference. Why would an aarakocra civilisation build castles when everyone can fly?
Yep, that is why we're putting much of the emphasis on the fantasy element, more so than "medieval".

I've already played this game back in 2E. The DM's world had the humans and elves wiped out by an alliance of orcs and drow, who then replaced them.
We're debating between a world that once had humans, or one that never had them...?

Land of the Giants. "Medium" is normally defined relative to humans. What if the planet was ruled by giants, and huge was the new medium? Humans are tiny.

And with giants, you could keep the medieval trappings.
We do have a "land of the giants" as part of the world currently, where all giant species originate from: giant lizards, giant eagles, giant... Giants, etc.

There is someone playing a tabaxi in one of my current games and I can tell she gets disappointed when I forget to have the NPCs in town react to the “weird foreign cat person.”
I suppose it depends on just how "weird" it is for her PC to show up? In a world with tabaxi, are they super rare? Or has the lands she is in right now never seen tabaxi? But if they are known of, and seen sometimes, why would it be a big deal?

I've run and played in a couple "animalistic-oriented" games. In one, our PCs (leonin, tortle, and a couple others) were unusual, but nothing to shock or surprise people because our races were known of, if not encountered before.

In the other, all our PCs came from a "zootopia-like" continent where all the races were "animal-heads": loxodons, tabaxi, kenku, etc., all of them were there someplace. Our PCs were emissaries to the other lands, traveling as diplomats as well as adventurers.

Both were a lot of fun! However, one thing we REALLY strive for is to get as much out of the human mind-set as we can and imagine what it is like to be those races.

even if you don't have Humans you're still going to most likely end up with something that is treated as basically 'humans' in one form or another, i don't see the point in removing them just to end up having them replaced.
We're trying very hard not to...

I'm not sure you can avoid it. Not because of anything on your part, but because those roleplaying the non-human races are humans in human masks. It's extraordinarily hard to roleplay a non-human well on that front, because we the players are all human and our human perspectives will seep through all over the place. It's the only perspective we know.
Yep, that is definitely part of the challenge. I'm hoping with enough information on these races, people can have a better chance of making it work without "humanizing" them. I realize it will be a very difficult task, and perhaps impossible.

Are people thinking the question is "would you play in a DnD game with no humans?" Is that the question? I thought I read OP correctly.
Yep. That is it. But to clarify it means no human NPCs either, not just no human PCs.

Vaalingrade

Legend
And if you make your dominant race something other than near human, you can give up on using "medieval" or any other human style as your reference. Why would an aarakocra civilisation build castles when everyone can fly?
Why would humans build castles when the dominant species on the planet is a flying tank that terrifies all your soldiers by being visible to them and the landscape is dotted with preexisting underground complexes capable of supporting entire ecosystems bend on murdering non-denizens just begging for them to become the denizens of?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I suppose it depends on just how "weird" it is for her PC to show up? In a world with tabaxi, are they super rare? Or has the lands she is in right now never seen tabaxi? But if they are known of, and seen sometimes, why would it be a big deal?

Like I said I run a humanocentric setting with dwarves, halflings, and gnomes the next most common in that order (I have homebrew stuff for half-orcs and half-elves and while elves exist there are no elf PCs as they are mostly gone) with lizardfolk replacing Dragonborn and tiefling being extremely rare. As for other peoples I technically disallow them but if someone really wants to play something else I usually let them. So this tabaxi falls in that category. The idea being she comes from a secluded community in the far mountains.

So yeah people are curious about her and one villain openly queried about selling her to a zoo when the PCs were taken captive. That said, in a D&D world people are used to seeing or hearing about strange things so many folks take a cat person wandering around with adventurers as weird but but not worth making a stink about.

Greg K

Legend
I'll run/play in a game that in which humans are the only race, but I have no interest in a game without humans as a playable race.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
We're developing a medieval fantasy RPG, with more emphasis on the "fantasy" than the medieval, and we have seven new custom races so it won't be the typical elf, dwarf, halfling, etc. But, it got us thinking, do we even still want humans in the game?

So, I'm just doing a simple poll on it. Would you play in an RPG without human PCs or NPCs?

Thanks, and for any feedback you have on it.
Yep. That is it. But to clarify it means no human NPCs either, not just no human PCs.

Ohhh ok, so this is a DnD5e setting, but you're making all custom races instead of using/adding to the core book ones.

I can't say that that changes my answer, especially if the races are particularly different from the other standard ones.

I took "developing a medieval fantasy rpg" to mean "not DnD."

ezo

I cast invisibility
Ohhh ok, so this is a DnD5e setting, but you're making all custom races instead of using/adding to the core book ones.

I can't say that that changes my answer, especially if the races are particularly different from the other standard ones.

I took "developing a medieval fantasy rpg" to mean "not DnD."
Sorry, this is not a 5E DnD setting.

It is its own RPG. Now, that being said, we plan on blending a lot of D&D and 5E in particular into it--so it will be "recognizable" and easier to follow. Some mechanics will be similar, some from 3E (sort of), some from other systems, and some of our own creation.

We started with humans, dwarves, elves, and some other common D&D races, but decided we wanted to move in a different direction, try to get away from the the humans in funny masks.

By "medieval" I suppose I could have said "swords and sorcery", instead. The idea is there will be swords, bows, armor, etc. but as we've been developing these more "alien" races, things don't quite fit in every case. It is an interested challenge.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Honestly, I'd play anything at this point, if offered. Human is my go-to race, but I would not mind a game/setting without them.

BUT! I'd prefer a setting without human AND without any of the most common fantasy races.

Give me a setting with only Dhampir, Plasmoid, Autognome, Hexborn, Satyr and Bugbear, then I'll be really happy.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Sorry, this is not a 5E DnD setting.

It is its own RPG. Now, that being said, we plan on blending a lot of D&D and 5E in particular into it--so it will be "recognizable" and easier to follow. Some mechanics will be similar, some from 3E (sort of), some from other systems, and some of our own creation.

We started with humans, dwarves, elves, and some other common D&D races, but decided we wanted to move in a different direction, try to get away from the the humans in funny masks.

By "medieval" I suppose I could have said "swords and sorcery", instead. The idea is there will be swords, bows, armor, etc. but as we've been developing these more "alien" races, things don't quite fit in every case. It is an interested challenge.
OK so I'm thinking people might be assuming that your question is about a DnD rpg? Because again, are people going to say "I don't want to play Mouse Guard/Spire/whatever else because you can't be a human?" Or maybe they will... I don't know :rolleyes:

Remove ads