Hamilton on Disney +

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I had read a little bit about that, but it didn’t really bother me as it’s a musical and I assumed certain dramatic licenses were taken.

Oh, I know. I just fount it a bit more annoying on this viewing, when I notice that some pretty major themes in the show are based on those not-terribly-historical bits.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Oh, I know. I just fount it a bit more annoying on this viewing, when I notice that some pretty major themes in the show are based on those not-terribly-historical bits.

Like bursting into song constantly or cabinet rap battles 😆?

Seriously though I suppose following up on those is part of the intended appeal (?) to create interest in something in the first place. As mentioned I’ve added it to my ever growing list of things to read up on 👍

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm going to see Hamilton eventually, some way or other. My two trepidations are
(a) I got a History minor for love of the subject and I notice mistakes
(b) rap music gives me a headache (it's not like I can just wear earplugs!)

Hopefully the show will live up to its publicity.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(a) I got a History minor for love of the subject and I notice mistakes

Well, that you'll have to live with.

(b) rap music gives me a headache (it's not like I can just wear earplugs!)

So, musically what Hamilton does is mix Broadway with hip-hop, not rap, if you understand the distinction. So, there's rap in the vocals, like in lots of hip hop, but the overall musical style isn't "rap music".

Here's the opening number (so, no real spoilers) as a representative example.

db9e031133fd3d3bf8997015237375a5d1245bd0aab901eafbc646bc46a7005e_1.jpg

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
So, musically what Hamilton does is mix Broadway with hip-hop, not rap, if you understand the distinction. So, there's rap in the vocals, like in lots of hip hop, but the overall musical style isn't "rap music".

Here's the opening number (so, no real spoilers) as a representative example.

In the most general sense, hip hop refers to both the overall lifestyle, as well as the actual beats / rhythm of the music . It includes four elements: DJing / turntabling, Rapping / MCing, graffiti painting, and B-boying which is hip-hop style, dance, and attitude. Rap is more the poetry / words .

Hamilton is a mix of rap, R&B, and Broadway show tune songwriting.

If you’re a music buff, the song writing is top notch and there is a lot to unpack and appreciate. For rapping, there are some ear popping, brilliantly accentuated complicated rhyme schemes that show rap’s strength and flexibility.

As far as historical accuracy is concerned, Hamilton is a work of historical fiction, including dramatizations and imprecisions.

Last edited:

Remove ads