• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hand Crossbow vs. Sling

Old Gumphrey

First Post
From what I've seen, the point of the sling is to allow 1st-level characters to buy a ranged weapon if they only have 5 gold left from spending on other, more important items.

After that, the hand crossbow is generally superior, because of previously mentioned points. If you think those points are irrelevant, then keep your dumb sling. :)

babinro

First Post
The paragon feat Steady Shooter is about the only reason I can see wanting a crossbow over the sling. +3 damage is pretty significant and the 'drawback' isn't that bad.

Still, neither is worth using unless you have no alternative.

DM_Blake

First Post
In 3e, you needed a feat to use a hand crossbow, and even then it was pretty much identical to a sling. The only difference is that hand crossbows in 3e crit on 19-20.

Hand crossbows were quite lame in 1e/2e, as well, IIRC.

I think the designers of every edition actually hate hand crossbows, since I can't remember an edition where they haven't sucked.

-O

Earth's real history hates them too.

In fact, they're virtually invisible in any historical record.

It seems that the technology of engineering a crossbow that small, with a decent, reliable trigger mechanism, that was still powerful enough to be worth using in a life-or-death situation, was superceded by the rapid spread of firearm technology.

Remove ads