D&D 5E Hang Time - What if you jump farther than your speed?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Then you just ready an action to hit them as they come straight down, and I would grant a bonus if it’s a weapon you can set against a charge like a spear.
Well, you can't ordinarily set a spear vs a charge, but maybe you've anyway houseruled that?

Certainly readying an action works, but not so well if you normally get multiple attacks. In any case, regardless of how effective it is, I guess most people would find the jumping thing insufferably cheesy.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Well, you can't ordinarily set a spear vs a charge, but maybe you've anyway houseruled that?

Certainly readying an action works, but not so well if you normally get multiple attacks. In any case, regardless of how effective it is, I guess most people would find the jumping thing insufferably cheesy.

You have to DM cinematically. If you were in mid air and got hit with the swing of a Frost Giants axe or a breathe weapon that has a wind-type effect (like fire from a dragon) I would have those effects push you like a batting practice fastball flys. That would stop the cheese right away.

jaelis

I guess that people probably wouldn't try that kind of thing vs a giant or a dragon, its more a tactic to use against a minotaur or hezrou, where you can actually get out of their reach/range.

But it sounds like your point is, let them do it and face whatever consequences seem natural. If that works for you its a fine solution.

Satyrn

First Post
3) The jump continues from one round to the next, with the character effectively hanging in the air until her next turn, whereupon the remainder of the jump uses up some or all of your movement.

This is how I'd handle it.

The character's a prime target for a shove, though!

smbakeresq

Explorer
It should work for everyone, the rules are not something to be slavishly adhered to against all common sense.

I get the reach range argument, but you have to go back in their reach sometime.

I don’t have the rules in front of me, but isn’t vertical jumping limited by your height and reach? I can’t recall how the jump spells interacts, no one has used it in a while.

Boots of Striding and Springing are great by the way, if your DM fills rooms with things to jump over

jaelis

I don’t have the rules in front of me, but isn’t vertical jumping limited by your height and reach? I can’t recall how the jump spells interacts, no one has used it in a while.
High jump rules
When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing high jump, you can jump only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement. In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can. You can extend your arms half your height above yourself during the jump. Thus, you can reach above you a distance equal to the height of the jump plus 1½ times your height.
The jump spell triples your jump distance (same as the boots).

Satyrn

First Post
You have to DM cinematically. If you were in mid air and got hit with the swing of a Frost Giants axe or a breathe weapon that has a wind-type effect (like fire from a dragon) I would have those effects push you like a batting practice fastball flys. That would stop the cheese right away.

I don't consider it cheese, and wouldn't be trying to stop it from happening - but you're addressing an important point: how to handle what happens while the leaping character is "paused" in mid air.

I'd treat it the same as a flying creature getting hit between turns

smbakeresq

Explorer
High jump rules

The jump spell triples your jump distance (same as the boots).

I don't know I would allow the boots or spell to triple your jump height. I could see it though, I guess they are talking about a distance being vertical also. Horizontal distance is also governed by speed, that's why I let monks jump farther then others even though jump is governed by STR (not a priority for monks) as opposed to DEX. I always thought that odd because STR is a absolute score regardless of size, a 20 STR halfling who weighs 80 lbs should be able to jump further than a 20 STR dwarf who weighs 200.

I mostly just use the 4e jump rules as modified by Tormyr "The DC for Strength (Athletics) checks when a character wants to jump past their automatic distance or height should be the distance in feet for running long jumps (30 feet is DC 30) and twice the distance in feet for standing long jumps (15 feet is DC 30). Don’t forget that a character cannot jump past its remaining movement." Its just simpler that way.

smbakeresq

Explorer
A flying creature has control over its movement in all directions as it has a fly speed, and is thus using its normal combat movement. A creature in this case has no fly speed to me is a baseball on a tee waiting to get swatted.

Plus it would be fun to do that to a player, like in SKT with Stone Giants Fling maneuver

"Fling. The giant tries to throw a Small or Medium creature within 10 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or be hurled up to 60 feet horizontally in a direction of the giant's choice and land prone, taking 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown." In the case of this rule the giant is trying to grab a creature, so I would use something similar if the creature is just trying to bat you away. If it attacked and hit you, I would think a saving throw for half damage would be appropriate. I think I would limit it to 30' also.

I do all kind of stuff like this as a DM, anything that seems a reasonable that a creature would do. I do it both ways also, so if a PC jumps onto a table then off the table to attack someone I would give a bonus to the player for that also.

Shiroiken

Legend
#3 seems like the most sensible way to play, but it can be abused. For instance, a Str 20 character under the effect of the jump spell can leap 24 ft straight up. So you could do something like attack a ground-based foe, move 10 ft, leap 20 feet in the air, and end your turn out of your foe's reach. So you either have to be OK with that kind of tactic, willing to just say it doesn't work, or not have players who think of that kind of thing.
Does the Jump spell prevent Attacks of Opportunity? If not, it's only taking away the multi-attack feature (assuming the enemy can't just move to hit another PC), which I find acceptable for the cost of a spell slot. How is this any different than someone having Fly or Levitate?

Remove ads