D&D 5E Hang Time - What if you jump farther than your speed?

5ekyu

Hero
I might be missing some of the concerns, but it seems to me "Dash" solves everything.

Want to jump farther than your remaining movement of 20 feet (used 10 foot run up)? Use Dash to get more movement.

You might even be able to move farther after the jump.

All in one turn, no hang time needed.

I eagerly await mention of considerations I did not consider.....
You arecorrect and dash was mentioned by sage for jumps as well.

Oofta

Legend
Jump simply changes your speed type, not increase it. Dash can help.

I agree. Leaving the PC hanging is 100% a house rule. The rule of cool. :cool:

The boots of springing and striding explicitly states it, the jump spell does not but there's sage advice on it.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I play it out differently at my table; your jumping uses your movement, but in order for things like the Jump spell or the boots to actually be useful, I make it so you can move your distance, jump, and if you exceed your movement speed, you finish your full jump and that's the end of your movement. Just makes more sense to me than anything else I've read.

E.G.

The goliath barbarian moves 30 feet towards a chasm and jumps; because of his ring of jumping, he jumps triple his normal jump distance, so he can jump three times his Strength score in feet, and the chasm is 20 feet across, so he easily makes it with room to spare, but that's his whole movement for the round. Of course, just a standing jump without the run-up won't get you as far.

Gadget

Adventurer
This is a major problem with the Jump spell: it triples your jump distance without increasing your movement at all. Personally, I would modify the spell to give you a strait up jump distance (i.e. as a bonus action you can jump 20' in any direction); or at least add an additional sentence to the current spell: "This additional jumping distance does not count towards your movement remaining."

jgsugden

Legend
D&D is an RPG. The DM puts a structure around the PCs while they improvise their way to glory.

The first rule of improvisation is DON'T SAY NO. If the PC wants to jump across the battlefield, figure out if there is a way to make it work and go with it.

To that end: I'd look to tell a good story. I'd also look to avoid having any abstraction due to the game rules ruin what would make sense to be allowed.

For example: PC Dwarf has strength 20, speed 25', and has had a Jump Spell cast on them. Their maximum long jump, with 10' move prior to the jump, is 60' per the rules, which is more than twice their normal movement.

Rd 1: They attack, move 20', then start to jump a 60' crevice. They cover 5' of the distance. This leaves them in the air, but only slightly off the ground.
Rd 2: They move 50' through the air across the crevice. I would let them use an action during this movement if they liked, even, although it would make it harder to land safely. They'd end the round nearly at the far side, but only a few feet above ground level.
Rd 3: They begin their turn by moving 5' more and finishing their jump. They would still have 20' of movement and an action.

In Rd 1: they use their action to attack and then head towards the crevice. When they reach the edge, they start their huge leap. I REFUSE to let the abstraction of the 'round' prohibit them from doing something that another PC with a faster speed would do within 1 round (a monk with a 20 strength could cover all 60' in a single round), so I would not prevent them from attempting the jump. Between this action and the next they'd be in the air - and if they get hit by an attack, it might influence their trajectory... perhaps making them overshoot or undershoot or veer off target into a wall. I see the arguments that they should be able to jump no farther than twice their movement, but I don't like those arguments and you' still have the problem at the core of this situation - if they jump after using a lot of movement in their round, and you want to allow them to jump up to twice their movement, you still have to figure out how to do it.

In Rd 2: They lept in the air and are going to be up there for 6 seconds during this round. Even though they're continuing to move, they're not needing to do anything to make that movement happen. If they are hit by a spell and rendered unconscious, for example, I would have no reason to halt their momentum. Accordingly, I'll let them use their action as they 'fly', although it will make landing harder. Again, if hit while in the air, it might impact their trajectory. Of course, they can't change direction in their jump once in the air through normal means, but might redirect themselves if things change by casting a spell, using a parachute, or something else.

In Rd 3: Their jump ends and uses up 5' of their movement. If they took an action in the prior round, I'd make them do an athletics check with disadvantage (DC 15) to remain on their feet. After that they'd continue their round as normal.

You might ask, "But what if they try to abuse this to give them the benefits of a levitate spell?" Well, they did have magic cast on them. They are traveling up to 18 feet in the air. They can get some benefits of a higher level spell - as long as it isn't as strong overall. Here, they have some risks involved as well. Anyone remember the Chasm jump in Cabin in the Woods? Let's take away the chasm and have the PC using this to jump across a battlefield and over an army of goblins. Those goblins may move quite a bit while the PC is in the air. Also, the rest of the party may want the dwarf to be in another location by the time he lands. There are some benefits for the PC in the way I'd run it, but also some risks.

Most importantly, it allows me and the player to tell a fun story as his dwarf travels through the air. There would be real tension as the battle changes around him and he'd be stuck in his path. When the Giant comes around the corner, sees the dwarf flying towards him, and readies an attack to 'bat' the dwarf ball back across the gorge... Fun! When the Dragon attacks and hits him with a wing buffet while he is in mid-air? We'd have fun figuring that out. What if he sees the giant popping up after he starts to move and wants to change course in the middle round... what fun things might he come up with to do that?

FarBeyondC

Explorer
While working on some homebrew material I was confronted with the question of what to do when a character or monster jumps and the distance they can jump is longer than their remaining movement.

I see a few potential decisions people can make here:

1) You can't go farther than your movement. If you have no movement remaining when you're in mid jump, you fall. Example: If you can jump 40 feet and you can move 30 feet, then you can really only jump 30 feet.

2) You have to make a Strength (Athletics) check to cover the remaining distance, failure means falling when you've expended all your movement for the round.

3) The jump continues from one round to the next, with the character effectively hanging in the air until her next turn, whereupon the remainder of the jump uses up some or all of your movement.

I realize it's pretty rare for this to come up in most games (unless perhaps a PC has boots of striding and springing) but I was curious how you handle it.

As someone who's actually built a character around the concept of jumping good, option 1's perfectly fine.

Sure, I get a little sad sometimes when I realize that (barring some friendly spell caster casting haste on me) I'll never actually make a theoretical max long jump (for the character in question) of 342 feet, but I tend to get over it quickly. After all, 195 feet is more than good enough for most purposes.

smbakeresq

Explorer
The rules were squished into an artificial construct of a turn being a move, action and bonus action in some order then a stoppage in time. The stoppage in time doesn’t really exist, it’s a bookkeeping convenience.

The player with 30’ speed who wants to attack (an action) and then run 20’ to the cliff and jump 20 over to the other cliff edge (2 moves) wouldn’t stop 10’ short to give himself a running start next turn. It would all be one continuous loop.

Of course as DM in that situation to me the player would be in the air 10’ over the chasm with the mini on a die at then end of his turn, free to be attacked with no shield bonus for any shield and and no DEX to AC penalty unless you made an acrobatics check to twist in air. You first action on your next turn would be a move action straight ahead to complete jump and then you go from there.

Seems simple enough to me and you want players to always be rolling those dice for those skill checks to reward their investment or penalize their neglect.

smbakeresq

Explorer
As a side note to my post above, this has in play at my table resulted in the dexterous types inevitably trying to much and crapping our on the dice

This includes hitting the cliff face on the other side and taking damage and then missing the STR check to grab the ledge and falling more, getting hit in mid air by a boulder thrown from a giant and being carried with it further away, and a dragon tail slap knocking a mid air PC into a steam vent using scatter rules.

5ekyu

Hero
This is a major problem with the Jump spell: it triples your jump distance without increasing your movement at all. Personally, I would modify the spell to give you a strait up jump distance (i.e. as a bonus action you can jump 20' in any direction); or at least add an additional sentence to the current spell: "This additional jumping distance does not count towards your movement remaining."

Major problem?

A standard pc has 30' move, 25' for smaller.

with a 10' run up he can jump up to 40' distance as part of a dash turn - more if he is also a rogue or other dash as bonus.

your run jump is str... so at 16 strength you have 48' jump. add in 10' run up and you have 58 or your 60 movement done.

So starting with strengths of 17-20 is where we start to have problem for the 30' characters. (str 13 for the 25' characters) without bonus dash capabilities.

I do not see that as a major problem given that it is a small facet of a small subset of characters (high strength or medium strength and small.)

For standing jumps, even at strength 20 you have only 30' jump after tripling from scratch so not a problem.

It seems to me the "problem" is that some want jump to be addition movement on top of normal given to strength guys or dont want to have to use dash to cover more than their base speed... at least it seems that way for some.

Remove ads