Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Starchy veggies like potatoes or things like beans, lentils, etc. can take some time to soften. That can also be a blessing- smashing SOME of such veggies or beans (towards the end of the cooking) will thicken a liquid. You get a nicely creamier texture to your soup as a result.

It’s actually a trick I use when doing creole red beans and other dishes.

Same principle applies with using some of your pasta cooking water to make sauces for certain Italian dishes, or making slurries or rouxs.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The soup turned out a little "warmer" than I expected. A small jalapeno, a banana, and a poblano pepper seem to have provided a bit of heat. I think overall it's good. I'll be the only one eating it so I plan to freeze some.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can take quite a bit of heat, but I tend to dial it back a LOT when I cook. Part of that is, for all my spice tolerance, getting the balance right between heat and flavor is a delicate art.

Then there’s the simple fact that those I cook for most often for DON’T gandle spicy food so well anymore.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've noticed that with some of the flamin hot chips. They go for heat, and not taste. I don't care for Takis for example. I actually find the soup to be about right.

35303835_10156471108559764_8020757786403012608_n.jpg

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
My landlord owns the neighboring property also. He's put it up for sale. They've been selling all their properties. I suspect this one will be for sale soon. I have 8 months left on the lease. I think I need to start looking for a new place. Here's the thing, if I find a place before the lease ends, could I expect him to let me out of it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My landlord owns the neighboring property also. He's put it up for sale. They've been selling all their properties. I suspect this one will be for sale soon. I have 8 months left on the lease. I think I need to start looking for a new place. Here's the thing, if I find a place before the lease ends, could I expect him to let me out of it?
Sounds very landlord specific, unfortunately.

Remove ads