Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think I'm aware of at least one book.

You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain: Robinson, Phoebe, Williams, Jessica: 9780143129202: Amazon.com: Books

I admit I have a dislike for some of the stereotypical body ornamentations like nails, grills, (especially the more outlandish ones) and the "crazy" hairstyles. I don't think of it as racist mainly because I wouldn't like it on anyone. I like girls that dye their hair odd colors, but many other things I see as gaudy no matter who it is.
Would culturalist be a word? Would it be just as bad? It's something I'm aware of and trying to improve on.

Her day job is a dentist office with high end clients. Pro athletes and the such. I can understand having limits but that hairstyle, in my opinion, wasn't too much. It looked nice on her.
There was a special episode of Black-ish about it a season or 2 ago. Condensed: natural black hair often cannot conform to caucasian-drafted dress codes without either chemical treatment or being severely limited. Like, almost shaved limited. And not every black woman wants a military style high & tight. Some really do prefer some of the older hairstyles, some going back before the rise of western civilization.

Ditto us guys,*

The nails? Not a fan myself. Not on ANYBODY. Grills always looked silly and “tryhard” to me. Scarification is another No from me, too.

OTOH, I’m not a huge fan of piercings or tattoos, either. (Not getting either, near as I can tell, but if I were forced to, id get a tat.)

* for the record, ive had Afros of various sizes and shapes, a high-top fade, a “black mullet”, a ponytai, and- very, VERY briefly- a mowhawk. But since Nov. 1990, I’ve kept my hair pretty much short enough it would probably pass military muster.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I joked that if tattoos prevented hair growth I'd get a clean shaven tattoo on my face so I wouldn't have to shave anymore. I don't like them either. That's another thing my friend and I have in common.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The lot owner is going to pave my driveway. Right now it's gravel. The plan is to do it this Wednesday. 🙌 I'm thinking of buying the lot. When I heard they planned to pave I decided to wait. I hope it doesn't drive the purchase price too high. It'll save me the trouble of having it paved.

There was a special episode of Black-ish about it a season or 2 ago. Condensed: natural black hair often cannot conform to caucasian-drafted dress codes without either chemical treatment or being severely limited. Like, almost shaved limited. And not every black woman wants a military style high & tight. Some really do prefer some of the older hairstyles, some going back before the rise of western civilization.

Ditto us guys,*

The nails? Not a fan myself. Not on ANYBODY. Grills always looked silly and “tryhard” to me. Scarification is another No from me, too.

OTOH, I’m not a huge fan of piercings or tattoos, either. (Not getting either, near as I can tell, but if I were forced to, id get a tat.)

* for the record, ive had Afros of various sizes and shapes, a high-top fade, a “black mullet”, a ponytai, and- very, VERY briefly- a mowhawk. But since Nov. 1990, I’ve kept my hair pretty much short enough it would probably pass military muster.
My brother from another mother... No tattoos, no piercings, no mutilation.... I swear if I didn't know better, we were seperated at birth
You know aside from that whole black/white thing. Lol.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
My brother from another mother... No tattoos, no piercings, no mutilation.... I swear if I didn't know better, we were seperated at birth
You know aside from that whole black/white thing. Lol.
It's just a genetic mutation that permitted our ancestors to adapt better to the environment in which they lived. One day people will be able to look at it that way and stop using it as away to set one another apart.

I know that's not you. I'm just making a comment in general and not to anyone in particular. 🙂

Mad_Jack

Legend
I once had to point out to a friend of northern European descent who disapproved of dreadlocks that his own people were known to rock them back in the day...

On the subject of tattoos, I have four. All of them have meaning for me and specific reason for getting them, but I have no problem with people just getting them as decoration. (I do, however, occasionally question and/or take exception to the quality, subject and/or placement of said decoration.)

In other news, it turns out that the high winds and rain in southeastern Connecticut this weekend resulted in four tornadoes, though they were only three EF-0 and an EF-1...

"Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers."
"Rebellion is always legal in the first person, as in our rebellion! It is only in the third person, their rebellion, that it becomes illegal."

1637013970669.png

Remove ads