• COMING SOON! -- The Awfully Cheerful Engine on Kickstarter! An action comedy RPG inspired by cheerful tabletop games of the 80s! With a foreword by Sandy 'Ghostbusters' Petersen, and VTT support!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
“Speaking of stupid,” he began. “America has to, get this, America has to stop eating meat, stop eating poultry and fish, seafood, eggs, dairy and animal-based fats. OK, got that? No burgers on July Fourth. No steaks on the barbecue. ... So get ready. You can throw back a plant-based beer with your grilled Brussels sprouts and wave your American flag.”

Ummmm. Say what? Are there non plant based beers? Is it still beer?
uh, who said this?

Aeson

Hero
Larry Kudlow. Somehow word started spreading that the government was going to limit meat consumption. They even had a number, 4 lbs of red meat a year. I understand this is political. I'm more fascinated with how quickly misinformation is spread.

I watched a quick YouTube video today talking about conspiracy theories that were true. One of the stories was how the government poisoned alcohol during prohibition. What happened was toxins were added to ethanol and methanol, other industrial alcohols, NOT drinking alcohol. Word went around that government was poisoning anyone that drank alcohol, many did get sick and die from drinking the ethanol and methanol.
The 4 lbs of meat thing was in some documents unrelated to the proposed spending bill, yet it's being used to undermine it. It's so hard to get accurate information. News organizations disseminate misinformation so easily. A single word taken out of context could be blown out of proportion in a matter of hours, and be a focal point of months. How does one combat this?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
How does one combat this?
Crosscheck with multiple sources.

Consider sources’ biases and reliability.

Don‘t assume either political polarity has it 100% right.

Even check multiple sources within your preferred political alignment- if a big story breaks on the smaller outlets and the major outlets of the same alignment AREN’T covering it, it’s probably NOT genuine.

Aeson

Hero
Have you seen the stuff on Sinclair media? They own a number of TV stations across the country. They would all read from the same script about topics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Yeah, I’ve seen some of that. Don’t care for it at all.

Oh yeah, I should have added “Check out the foreign press.” Even though they may share some of the political biases as domestic media, their perspectives will nonetheless be different. It will also tip you off as to the DNA of certain stories, like how certain OAN broadcasts had their origins in Kremlin-run RT & Sputnik...not the least bit surprising since one of OAN’s employees also works for Sputnik.

Aeson

Hero
Don't care for the stories about Sinclair or don't care for Sinclair? lol Not being pedantic, just seeking clarification.

I often listen to BBC radio in the car. You're right about different perspectives. I also subscribe to AJ+ on YouTube. It's Al Jazeera's channel or one of them. I used to think RT was reputable. So, yeah I try to go beyond the borders for news. I try to be careful when viewing news media backed by governments. Bias always creeps in. You just don't know if the bias is the company (Fox News) or the government (RT).
I was not aware of OAN's connection to Russia.
I find that somewhat unnerving.

If you can, listen to BBC World Service. Lawrence Pollard is one of the best. They're all top notch, but he has a sense of humor that works well. My local PBS station has it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
BBC is one of my go-to news sources. I occasionally catch AJ, but I’m more likely to look at stuff from Associated Press or Reuters,

As for Sinclair, my distaste is for how they homogenize their outlets. At least with BBC, CNN, FOX, etc,, you KNOW the stories all come from one organization. Sinclair’s practices make it look like a variety of independent journalists came to the (usually exact) same conclusions, and that’s a dangerous duplicity. It not only a lie about themselves the’re perpetreating, it begs the question of the independence of other station’ news casting teams.

Edit: you might find this media bias chart useful
View attachment 1619947051223.jpeg

Last edited:

Aeson

Hero
I've heard of most of those except many on the bottom left. Where many fall on the graph isn't surprising.

And thank you for the clarification. That makes perfect sense.

Aeson

Hero

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I don’t know about those in the bundle, but the Horus Heresy series is very exciting. I see some of the same authors in that bunch. Also, the Ciaphas Cain books I’ve heard are fan favourites.

Aeson

Hero
Drove for several miles with a stowaway and didn't know if.
20210504_033013.jpg

Aeson

Hero
One Kickstarter I backed updates are about shipping container woes. Meaning they're stuff is done and on the way. Another Kickstarter updates are "look at our most recent die for the machiners." Meaning they're still in production.

I've heard most go to Kickstarter with a finished product, they're there for money needed to get them across the finish line. Rarely is it used to get money needed to make the stuff.
That Castle Wolfenstein game is going to take forever.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I raise you a moose* and five wild boars on the road... However, you’ll have to take my word for it, as this was 22 years ago, and I don’t have pics...

*Could have been an elk. I’m not entirely sure what the difference is.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4