Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The FF (Founding Fathers) left it open to be defined by those in office at the time. It may seem a loophole, but it also allows for flexibility. The general consensus is that it covers things that go to the heart of the office. We know, for instance, that lying under oath is an impeachable offense- that’s what got Bill in hot water.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It just seems too open. What might have been a crime years ago may not be now or the other way around. I guess if it was too easy to define it would make the process too easy and thusly all too common.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The fact that it could change over time is what makes it powerful. No need to rewrite it every few decades- tough to do, given the process for Constitutional revision- and keeps the law “alive” and relevant even over the gulf of centuries. Which allows the courts to do THEIR job of interpreting laws. SpAs a whole, this is something so called “strict constructionists” either don’t understand or- for their own reasons- strongly dislike (and if you look closely, allows them to ditch their principles when “strict construction” would yield results they dislike).

The FF were wise enough to realize that human civilization was not stagnant, but still changing, and that they could not foresee with any accuracy what the world would be like in the distant future.

And it’s a drafting style you see all over American Civil and Criminal legal codes.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
On the BBC radio they often talk about how their constitution isn't written like ours. Sounds like it's a mish mash of different writings and can be confusing.

I guess nations get a chance to learn from the ones that came before it and correct where they fall short.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I didn't take my own advice. I'm sitting outside the theater waiting on my friend so we can see Joker. Here's to hoping the INCELS keep their guns at home.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
We both enjoyed the movie a lot. From conversations after the movie she enjoyed it way more than I did. I'm thinking about investing in a clown mask.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1570324154852.gif

Remove ads