Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen actors pretending to have a stroke. I've never seen it happen for real. Anyone else see the video of Ron Paul appearing to have a stroke? It was wild. Hit him midsentence. The whole thing was unreal. The guy he was talking to was bewildered.
I’ve seen at least one stroke happen, but it was very subtle. It was my paternal grandmother who got hit. She was following a conversation about her getting discharged from the hospital in a couple of hours. Most of the people in the room were watching my Dad (an MD) talk to her physician about her ongoing care in the near future.

I was listening, but my eyes were locked on her.

Then she sorta froze...and then you could see complete and utter bewilderment on her face.

I said, “I think she just had a stroke.” Everyone looked at me, then her. Then she looked at me and called me by her sister’s name. A quick exam confirmed my guess.

Needless to say, she was not discharged that day.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've heard the same thing happening to someone having a seizure also.

She could tell what was happening? I wonder if Ron Paul could tell. His speech became so garbled and he continued trying to speak. I've also heard of people with some brain injuries not realizing what they're saying doesn't make sense.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I hope this is a safe question to ask. Has COVID-19 changed your plans to vote? Not asking political question. Not asking who or why or if you plan to vote. It's a how question. Voting in person day of, early in person, by mail? Is it different from before?

I'd like a mail in ballot. Feel less pressure to hurry. Can take time to read the issues on the ballots.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've heard the same thing happening to someone having a seizure also.

She could tell what was happening? I wonder if Ron Paul could tell. His speech became so garbled and he continued trying to speak. I've also heard of people with some brain injuries not realizing what they're saying doesn't make sense.
I don’t know what she was thinking. We left the room to give the hospital staff do their jobs.

And as to your last- a friend’s father was slowly dying of cancer and he was struck by aphasia, the condition you're describing. I sat with him one night so his son could get a break. It was very difficult.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I hope this is a safe question to ask. Has COVID-19 changed your plans to vote? Not asking political question. Not asking who or why or if you plan to vote. It's a how question. Voting in person day of, early in person, by mail? Is it different from before?

I'd like a mail in ballot. Feel less pressure to hurry. Can take time to read the issues on the ballots.
Texas has a bad history with voter suppression, so I’m not taking any chances this year. I don’t think any of us qualifies for a mail-in ballot- C19 is not considered a valid reason- so in-person it will be.

Mom is disabled, so she qualifies for curbside voting assistance. I’ll be helping her that day.

But while no problems have been reported locally in the 20 years we’ve lived in this city, I’ve advised my parents to make sure they take additional ID, just in case. Besides their voter ID cards & driver’s licenses, they also have their military IDs. Dad’s passport has expired, but Mom’s and my own are still valid. So if someone wants to claim any of us can’t prove our ID and thus our right to vote, they will find it extremely difficult to do.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
In some states,I think Georgia is one, it is a valid reason. And this is a state that has a Governor that oversaw his election as Secretary of State. You're not alone in your suspicions.
Curbside? She can vote from the car? My aunt gets a mail in because of her disability.

It's interesting to hear how other places are handling it. I'd be curious to hear if it's impacted elections in other countries.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I saw these dogs this morning. They were mixed with chihuahua. They had tiny heads, but were medium sized. Kinda odd looking.

Edit:
The owner of the dogs didn't know the mix. After looking up cavalier king Charles dogs for another reason, I think it might be in the mix. The dogs had the same brown/white colors and shaggy hair.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep
In some states,I think Georgia is one, it is a valid reason. And this is a state that has a Governor that oversaw his election as Secretary of State. You're not alone in your suspicions.
Curbside? She can vote from the car? My aunt gets a mail in because of her disability.

It's interesting to hear how other places are handling it. I'd be curious to hear if it's impacted elections in other countries.
Curbside, indeed. There’s no special procedures or paperwork involved, but they do suggest calling ahead.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I don't want to lessen what has happened so far. It's catastrophic. I can't help to think this whole thing shows us how the country was not ready for a serious pandemic. Now we know something like this can happen. Hopefully enough people have learned from this. When a worse one hit, and it will, more people should be prepared.

My mom brought over a lot of canned goods the other day. A church pantry gave the stuff to a family friend's family. They didn't eat much of it. I've eaten some. I plan to make chili using some of the items. Maybe the aught to be the start of my strategic stockpile.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yep

Curbside, indeed. There’s no special procedures or paperwork involved, but they do suggest calling ahead.
Is this recent due to the pandemic? Is you're state still using paper ballots? We use touchscreen devices. They're supposed to print out a paper receipt with all the selections. The whole thing is way too bulky to set up to use from the car.

Remove ads