Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
I've seen the first 3. Cutthroat Island is the one with Geena Davis? I heard it was really bad.

It's only "bad" if you're comparing it to the Pirates of the Carribean movies, which didn't even start coming out until eight years later and were Disney-funded productions. :rolleyes:

Cutthroat Island is a perfectly fun and entertaining pirate movie, and if it seems to rip off anything from PotC, it's actually the other way around since CI did it first.

And you really should watch V for Vendetta...
It's based on the Alan Moore graphic novel, written by the Wachowski sisters, and stars Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Fry and John Hurt. It's a damn good movie, even if you're not into the deep social commentary.

Ulfgeir

Hero
On a bit of a movie binge lately, watching some old favorites...

In the past 24 hours I've watched:

The Black Hole
Kingdom of Heaven
The Princess Bride
V For Vendetta
Cutthroat Island
Have't seen neither The Black Hole nor The Kingdom of Heaven. The other three though are really good films imo.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Kingdom of Heaven is a really good movie if you like the medieval stuff - it's both a pretty good war movie and a decent character drama.
The Black Hole is old-school Disney (1979), the most expensive film they'd shot at the time and the first one to receive a PG rating. Even though the effects are horribly dated by now, it was nominated for both Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects at the time.
Fun Fact: Originally, Sigourney Weaver had been considered for the female lead, but the head of the casting dept. didn't like her unusual name. So the part went to Jennifer O'Neill, who was asked to cut her hair short for the role. O'Neill showed up to the studio with her personal hairstylist Vidal Sassoon, but had several glasses of wine during the haircut and got into a car accident while driving home which cost her the part. Eventually they ended up casting Yvette Mimeiux.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I read this article and it has me a little concerned. I mentioned biting my tongue, and punching the table. I've had a couple of other things happen. Talking in a dream then continued mouthing after I wake up. I'm not sure if I vocalized anything or just mouthed the words.

I know people who have acted out, including my Dad. None have Parkinson’s. (AFAIK.)

So it’s not a guarantee. But keep paying attention to your health!

Mad_Jack

Legend
I know people who have acted out, including my Dad. None have Parkinson’s. (AFAIK.)

So it’s not a guarantee. But keep paying attention to your health!

From my reading of the article, I'd say that frequent acting out in dreams would be an indication that there may be a future problem... If there's only a handful of incidents throughout your life so far, I wouldn't worry too much unless you wake up to find yourself in the kitchen about to perform brain surgery on yourself with a knife.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've started listening to Welcome to Night Vale. I think it would make an excellent RPG setting. Avoiding the Sheriff's secret police. Running from the black robed men in the dog park. Thwarting the plans of the city council. Grabbing a slice at Big Rico's. Fighting mutant creatures from radon canyon. Getting help from Old Woman Josie and the angels. I'm not sure if it would be a d20 Modern or Call of Cthulhu setting.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Rob Thomas the producer gets Rob Thomas the singer to appear on iZombie, then has zombies kill him. Tis the day the music died.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I got rear ended tonight. I slowed for a turn. He did not. I'm ok. My car is ok. The bumper is banged up. His Mustang is NOT ok. He was able to drive it to get it off the road, but I'm not sure he would be able to drive it home. 20 year old kid. I don't envy him when he gets home. He and his girlfriend were ok. They didn't seem hurt. That's some good news.

Remove ads