Hard Sun - enforcing the law as the end of the world approaches

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This might be interesting. Starts next week. I loved Luther with Idris Elba (new series of the this year, apparently), and this is by the same writer.

World will end in 5 years. Cops have to keep maintaining law and order.

[video=youtube;KY1pFa-8tE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY1pFa-8tE0[/video]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We binged this. 6 episodes on BBC iPlayer. Really enjoyed it.

It's gritty as hell. The violence is a bit wince-inducing at times. It's not really about the end of the world, but about solving crimes by people who suspect the world is ending, with a side plot of MI5 trying to keep the info from going public. So there's a murder, a serial killer, etc.

Gorgeously shot. It's a good looking show, like Luther was.

Looks like a one season show!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
We just finished bingeing it as well. I enjoyed it. I could have used a little more pre-apocalyptic fun and a little less police procedural, but the character's various arcs kept me engaged and made for compelling viewing and a strong story overall.

Apparently it's intended to run for five seasons: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a846673/hard-sun-bbc-one-trailer-cast/

[sblock]So was that a black hole devouring the sun at the end of episode 6?[/sblock]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Five series? I thought at the end they said that was it, the end of the world?

But no, that can't be a black hole eating the sun. If a black hole capable of eating the sun snuck into our solar system we're long dead; we've long since been thrown right out of our orbit.

I can't remember, but did they say in one of the early episodes that it was a gigantic solar flare which was going to wipe us out in five years? If they can *see* it, it's hit us already, as it moves at the speed of light (which only takes 8 minutes, not five years) to reach us from the sun.

So yeah, I'm really unclear on what we saw at the end there. Ill grant that it sure as heck *looks* like a black hole!

gallery-1515410678-screen-shot-2018-01-08-at-100457.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
From the final scene of the final episode:

[sblock]
I dunno what it's supposed to be. I thought it was meant to look like a black hole but there are plenty of reasons why that would be weird. Maybe something smaller? A Sphere of Annihilation, perhaps? ;)

svSc1XX.png
[/sblock]

EDIT: Haha, snap :)

Janx

Hero
I couldn't tell you whose science is right, but I read a short story with a related theme. The twist at the end might relate and explain why Morrus is wrong, we're not all dead yet...

these scientists publish this clever article about the expanding nature of the universe, are set to receive a nobel prize. Then one of them drops out, takes up living on the beach, then another, moves out the mountains, and so on. They all say "talk to XYZ." as their reason. So the lead scientiest finally catches up to XYZ (the guy who these other scientists all talked to and then dropped everything to relax on beaches, marry the one who got away, etc).

XYZ turns out he was set to be a famous scientist 10-20 years ago. He explains that, the other alternative to the universe expanding, is that Earth, the Sun, are being pulled into a black hole, and they are experiencing slowed time, while the rest of the universe is not, and thus appears to be expanding.

Remove ads