Harhall Characters

I'm going to try to keep this ongoing with each update. Probably a tad optimistic.

GLOSSARY

Aki of Dorestad: Frisian mercenary of Varangian descent. In the personal warband of Ivar the Boneless; later settled near Lincoln.
Alfred: (849-899) "The Great." King of Wessex from 871-899. Responsible for consolidating English power, as well as innovations in education, maritime defense and urban planning.
Arden: The great forest of the English Midlands.
Arnve: Sinir's first wife and mother of Lek. Arnve was skilled in seithr, which she learned from the skald Varr.
Asgrim: An influential freeholder of the upper Dean. Loyal to Ornolf.
Ashdown, Battle of: A major clash between the forces of Prince (later King) Alfred and the Danes, which took place in January 871. Alfred triumphed nominally, but the battle was inconclusive and destabilizing.
Athelhelm: (860-897) Atheling. Brother of Ethelwald. Ealdorman of Wiltshire.
Atheling: A prince of royal blood; a possible pretender to the throne.
Athelnoth: Chief retainer and sometime lover of Luta. From Athelney in Wessex.
Badothin: A mercenary from Kent in Luta's retinue.
Beorhtric: A freeholder in the western Peaks, who hosted Lek, Luta and Oter.
Black Mountain: A hill on the Welsh border.
Braith: A Welsh witch, and mother of Oter. Blinded and exiled by Sinir for treachery.
Bravellir: A semi-mythical battle in Sweden which occurred c. 770. In its wake, Sigurd Ring became king of Sweden and Denmark.
Bredon Hill: A lone hill near Evesham, and a site of ancient power. Luta experienced a vision there.
Brittany: Celtic Kingdom in northwest France, subject to many viking raids.
Brochwel: King of Gwent, a Welsh kingdom.
Burhed: One of Beorhtric's sons.
Churnet: A stream which marks the eastern border of Lek's holdings at Harhall.
Dean: A stream flowing West from the Peaks; its valley is the site of Ornolf's estates.
Dove(brook): A fast stream which flows east from the Peaks, close to Harhall.
Dunn: Thane of Bretforton, husband of Luta.
Ealdred: (d. 790) Last king of the Hwicce. Twelfth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Eanberht: (d. c. 760) Hwiccan king. Tenth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Eanfrith: (d. 674) Hwiccan king. The first of twelve cited as one of Luta's forebears.
Eanhere: (d. 675) Hwiccan king. Second in the list of Luta's forebears.
Ecgfrith: A scout from Evesham in Luta's retinue.
Edward: (c.875-) Atheling. King of Wessex from 900 onwards. Son of Alfred.
Eric: (king 890-) King of East Anglia, son of Guthrum.
Ethandun, Battle of: The decisive victory of King Alfred over the Danes under Guthrum in May 878. Many Vikings were baptized in its wake.
Ethelfled: (c. 872-) The Lady of Mercia, wife of Ethelred and daughter of King Alfred.
Ethelheard: (fl. 700) Hwiccan king. Sixth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Ethelred (1): (c. 860-) Ealdorman of (English) Mercia and Luta's liege. Husband of Ethelfled.
Ethelred (2): (d. 883) Luta's maternal uncle. The last Earl of the Hwicce.
Ethelred (3): (837-871) King of Wessex. The elder brother of Alfred, and father of Ethelwald.
Ethelric: (fl. 720) Hwiccan king. Eighth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Ethelwald: (c. 855-) Atheling, and pretender to the throne of Wessex. Cousin of Edward.
Ethelward: (fl. 710) Hwiccan king. Seventh in the list of Luta's forebears.
Evesham: A large village north of Luta's estates at Honeybourne. The site of an influential abbey.
Five Burghs: Name given to the powerful semi-independent towns of the Danelaw: Derby, Lincoln, Stamford, Nottingham and Leicester.
Garulf: A brigand sworn to Lek's service; previously a priest.
Great Heathen Army: The horde of Vikings who descended upon England in 865, led by Ivar the Boneless and his brothers.
Guthrum: (d. 890) Danish king of East Anglia. One of the leaders of the Great Heathen Army.
Gwent: Welsh kingdom, west of Mercia.
Hakon: First Earl of Lade, Sinir's cousin and his overlord in Norway.
Hafrsfjord: A six-mile fjord in Rogaland in Southern Norway, home to Sinir's kinsmen.
Harald Fairhair: (850-) First King of Norway by conquest from 872. A great hero of the age.
Harhall: Sinir's seat, northwest of Repton in Danish Mercia. Originally comprising more than a hundred hides, the estate was later split between his sons, Lek and Oter.
Hereford: A town in the west of Mercia, near the Welsh border.
Honeybourne: Seleth's (later Luta's) seat in the Severn valley, south of Evesham, comprising fifty hides of good land.
Hwicce: An old tribal kingdom of the English, centered on Gloucester and Worcester. Absorbed by Mercia by the end of the 8th century.
Ivar the Boneless: (d.872) One of the leaders of the Great Heathen Army. Conquered East Anglia, York and Dublin.
Kol: A young viking warrior slain by Aki of Dorestad in a dispute over plundered church goods.
Lade: A town in Trondelag in Norway, the seat of a dynasty of powerful Earls.
Laski: Oter's horse, a skewbald colt.
Lek: Son of Sinir and Arnve, and master of Harhall after his father's death. Lek is skilled in seithr.
Lichfield: A large village in the English midlands, once the seat of an Archbishopric.
Lincoln: Danish town in the Midlands. One of the Five Burghs.
Luta: Mistress of Honeybourne. Daughter of Sinir and Sefleth, and half-sister of Oter and Lek. Renowned for her skill in battle.
Man: Island and sometime kingdom in the Irish Sea. Settled by Norsemen, and ruled from Orkney.
Mercia: Kingdom of the English Midlands. Its rulers had once exercised wide powers, but by the time of the campaign, Mercia is partitioned into English and Danish areas.
Meurig: A Welsh mercenary retained by Oter.
Orkney: Islands north of mainland Scotland, the seat of powerful Viking Earls.
Ornolf: A Norseman who settled near Thelwall c. 880. The target of a blood-feud with Lek.
Oshere: (d. 704) Hwiccan king. Fourth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Osred: (fl. 730s) Hwiccan king. Ninth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Osric: (d. 679) Hwiccan king. Third in the list of Luta's forebears.
Oswald: (d. 690) Hwiccan king. Fifth in the list of Luta's forebears.
Oter: Son of Sinir and the witch Braith. Practiced with Welsh magic.
Peaks, The: The Peak District of north-central England, northwest of Harhall. Characterized by rounded hills, upland moors and sharp escarpments. The Peaks are sparsely populated.
Radwine: A veteran in Lek's retinue; brother of Radwulf.
Radwulf: A veteran in Lek's retinue; brother of Radwine.
Ragnald: A seasoned viking; Lek's chief retainer.
Repton: A village in the Midlands near Harhall.
Rogaland: An area of southern Norway, once a petty kingdom
Sefleth: Mother of Luta. A Hwiccan noblewoman of high pedigree, married to Sinir.
Seithr: Magic, sorcery.
Sinir: A Norseman from Lade, who founded Harhall. Father of Lek, Oter and Luta.
Stamford: Danish town in the Midlands. One of the Five Burghs.
Thelwall: A Norse settlement south of the Mersey, three days northeast of Harhall.
Thuringia: A southern German kingdom.
Torf-Einar: (c. 850-) The powerful Earl of Orkney. Reluctant vassal of Norway.
Torksey: A large Danish settlement near Lincoln.
Uhtred: (d. c. 780)
Varr: A skald from Halogaland who practiced seithr.
Visna (1): The name adopted by Luta after her vision on Bredon Hill.
Visna (2): A shieldmaiden who fought at Bravellir. The banner-bearer of the Danish troops.
Winchcombe: A village south of Sefleth's ancestral estates, the site of an Abbey.
Wilareus: A petty bandit and robber from Thuringia, in Lek's retinue. Employed as a scout.
Wirral: Peninsula in Northwest England, between the estuaries of the rivers Dee and Mersey. Heavily settled by Norsemen.
Witan: The council of elders and magnates which approves the accession of a new king.
York: Powerful viking city and kingdom in the North.

Last edited:

Just out of curiousity Sep, where did you come up with those two maps you posted. Were they custom drawn by yourself or did you pull them out of a book from somewhere or some combination thereof?

They were custom-drawn by someone else - I think for a book. I found them online after much searching. I also use the Ordnance Survey map Britain Before the Norman Conquest (ISBN 0319290093), which is awesome if you can get hold of it.

Quartz said:
Isn't York still Yorvik at this time?

I haven't been consistent about usage - I tend toward modern versions where possible, but really use whichever version of a name I feel like (York vs. Jorvik vs Eoforwic).

Honeybourne isn't Huniburna and Evesham isn't Eofeshamm but Edington is Ethandun. I avoid "Æ," and I've been free in deciding whether it transliterates to an 'A' or an 'E' in some cases - usually there's precedent, though.

Bloodcookie

Explorer
Hey Sep, given your obvious knowledge and interest in the early medieval era, I'm curious as to whether you've ever done anything with White Wolf's Dark Ages line of games.

Leo Knight

First Post
Hi. I registered long ago, but never posted, just lurked. I saw a link to your homebrew rules over at RPG.net, and just wanted to tell you, "Wow!"

I had run a long term Runequest campaign several years ago, about the time D&D3e came out. I wanted to try to convert, but never got around to it. Your rules might just be the missing link I needed. Thanks!

The Axe

First Post
Leo Knight said:
Hi. I registered long ago, but never posted, just lurked. I saw a link to your homebrew rules over at RPG.net, and just wanted to tell you, "Wow!"

I had run a long term Runequest campaign several years ago, about the time D&D3e came out. I wanted to try to convert, but never got around to it. Your rules might just be the missing link I needed. Thanks!

Leo K, to be clear, are we talking about the rules in this thread, or am I missing something bigger? (If the latter, linky please)

Remove ads