Harlot Table - Was it REALLY in D&D??

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't forget "extend".

:-S

I'll just say they "The Harlot Table" would be a great name for a filking group at Gen-Con...

It's funny how prudish we are today that the mention of prostitution is somehow seen as shocking and alarming.

Yeah, it is.

Back when that edition was new and I was playing it, we thought nothing of it. It doesn't seem odd to me now, either. Prostitution is an extremely common thing, and has been for as long as we know. They don't call it "the world's oldest profession" for nothing. At various times and places in history it has been an enormous influence on local economics. It still is, in many places. I have been in foreign cities where I have walked through literal crowds of prostitutes on my way back to my hotel at night (more than a hundred in sight at times, particularly in Bangkok).

Yeah, F.A.T.A.L. is something you only go through if you have your Eye & Brain Bleach handy.

I finally took a look at F.A.T.A.L. a few weeks ago. It's more funny (in a sick humor sort of way) than anything else, because it takes things to such an extreme level of ridiculousness.

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
What people need to do to fight sexism in gaming is to reverse it. Women need to give as good as they get. Start with a detailed gigolo/man-whore table for encounters. Give the girl players something to like...

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
The level of vocabulary in the AD&D books was clearly too high for the kids who were reading them. They were written on college level rather than a grade school level.

Which was a great thing for my and some friends who still remember answers we got right on our SATs and other standardized tests -- purely because we played D&D!

And there were those of us who mastered contract law because nothing is more illogical, complicated, and contradictory than a ruleset written by Gary Gygax. By comparison, contract law is easy! :)

Remove ads