D&D General Has anyone created a homebrewed version of World of Warcraft's Drachthyr race for 5e D&D?

This inquiring mind wants to know if anyone has tried to create a homebrewed version of the Drachthyr for 5e D&D. ;) And if so, how are you presenting them for 5e? curious

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
This inquiring mind wants to know if anyone has tried to create a homebrewed version of the Drachthyr for 5e D&D. ;) And if so, how are you presenting them for 5e? curious
Honestly... I'd probably just use an A5e Dragonborn and describe them as having a particularly long neck and a tail. There's not much else there outside of their time-displaced culture.

Honestly... I'd probably just use an A5e Dragonborn and describe them as having a particularly long neck and a tail. There's not much else there outside of their time-displaced culture.
I am not sure they would entirely be like the A5e Dragonborn heritage. They would have the Dragonborn's breath weapon ability, Draconic Wings as a commonly held heritage trait, and the ability to assume a smaller human-like form.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I am not sure they would entirely be like the A5e Dragonborn heritage. They would have the Dragonborn's breath weapon ability, Draconic Wings as a commonly held heritage trait, and the ability to assume a smaller human-like form.
To quote Meatloaf Aday: Two Outta Three Ain't Bad!

Though their smaller humanform is still -clearly- dracthyr and the same size category... maybe make that a Culture trait for a Dracthyr Culture?

Bam!

To quote Meatloaf Aday: Two Outta Three Ain't Bad!

Though their smaller humanform is still -clearly- dracthyr and the same size category... maybe make that a Culture trait for a Dracthyr Culture?

Bam!
The Drachthyr's ability to assume a humanoid form is almost (but not quite) like the Alter Self spell. Maybe make it a Gift instead? Dragons in 5e can shapechange into humanoids.

I mean, they're doable, if you're willing to make a slightly OP race. I would say just take Dragonborn, re-describe them, and add both 60ft flight speed to them and the ability to Alter Self but only into a specific humanoid form (which can be changed by a ritual, but is not trivial to change).

Steampunkette

Supporter
I mean, they're doable, if you're willing to make a slightly OP race. I would say just take Dragonborn, re-describe them, and add both 60ft flight speed to them and the ability to Alter Self but only into a specific humanoid form (which can be changed by a ritual, but is not trivial to change).
The Ritual requires a variable amount of gold (5 per character level after 3rd) and a Barber Shop.

The Ritual requires a variable amount of gold (5 per character level after 3rd) and a Barber Shop.
Yeah, in lore it's a bit more involved than that though, IIRC it's a multi-hour, multi-participant deal. I'd probably let PCs change it with like an eight-hour solo ritual or something. It's supposed to be a big deal to change it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases